• Storage: Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230 - 2TB
  • Expansion Cards:
    1. USBC
    2. 1TB
    3. USBA
    4. USBC
    5. HDMI
    6. HDMI

I am having an issue with a USB 1TB expansion card. I am using WSL2 with Debian and the mount point for the expansion card is /mnt/f. I have no issues in WSL2

However, F:\ in windows 11 pro, I looses the drive on shutting the laptop and reopening it.

When I turn on the laptop from a full shutdown I receive, sometimes the dialog below:

I do not receive this all the time… Its spotty at best.

If I use the windows spec F:\ it works without fail on startup. It is only when the device sleeps and then I come back to work on it windows explore, PowerShell and dos or any other app (ie: Typora) that has a reference to F:\ fails. Note this does not happen all the time and in some cases it is not experienced it for days.

Windows startup does not always display the USB Device Not recognized.

Since everything for the most part operates I am leaning toward this being a driver issue. Which I have updated about a week ago. But tonight I lost the F:\ drive after about an hour when the laptop went to sleep.

The fix is a reboot… However, I have also issued Disk Management and restored its operation.

My question is simply is there any issues of this in the knowledge base or community matching my experience here?

I think you might have more luck with the storage in slot 1 or 4.
I find those more reliable than other slots.

1 Like

Really, I reserved that for USBC power, then that puts me in one side power only, ok, thank you Ill try that immediately!

The power can plug into 4 of the 6 slots on the FW16

So you should still be able to power either side.

:slight_smile: I did read the document and see the normal defaults. Just ignored the HDMI reference, shall we say subconsciously? :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: I’m not clear as to why the 1TB would not work in every slot. However, I rearraigned the placement.

I moved 1TB to 5.

Then I just realized my issue could be the HDMI in 1 and 2 based on the layout diagram at the end of this message.

The original cards were setup as below:

Slot Card Card Slot
1 USBC USBC 4
2 USBA HDMI 5
3 1TB HDMI 6

On may FW13 I had two 1TB and never worried about slot placement.

Could the HDMI card in 5 and 6 be the issue?

Per your suggestion I set it up as below:

Slot Card Card Slot
1 USBC 1TB 4
2 USBA USBC 5
3 HDMI HDMI 6

I have not had an issue so far however, I have not sat at my desk and fired up both monitors And, further the layout below suggests 6 and 3 are not capable of HDMI so this needs to change.

With your recommendation James3 wrote: “The power can plug into 4 of the 6 slots on the FW16” I rearrange the slots to the below:

As I stated above my mistake was the HDMI placement. So I am trying this configuration and will monitor it.

I moved the HDMI to the proper ports and that may have been a power draw issue. Again, we will continue to monitor.

The updated comparison is below:

Current

Slot Card Card Slot
1 USBC HDMI 4
2 HDMI USBC 5
3 USBA 1TB 6

Original

Slot Card Card Slot
1 USBC USBC 4
2 USBA HDMI 5
3 1TB HDMI 6

I will be monitoring this the remainder of the week. I may have a power issue with the Expansion slot 3 as so far the rearrangement has not shown the usb issue in the beginning nor have I lost the F:\ drive.

Thank you!

FW16 LAYOUT

FW16 USB port output:
Ports 1,2,4,5: 3A@5V, which is 15W USB power
Ports 3,6: 0.9A@5V, which is 4.5W

FW16 USB port input:
Ports 1,2,4,5: 240W USB-PD Charging
Ports 3,6: None.

I have swapped the expansion card three times with the configuration as documented at the end to provide a reasonable testing for the original issues experienced that started this thread.

What I found out was the first experience, the configuration, as labeled Original below, repeatedly displayed the USB failure windows dialog on boot up. Over time the system would drop of the windows drive, in my case, the F: Drive, simply not accessible in WINDOWS.

This was not the case for the Unix subsystem. In fact, the Unix Subsystem was accessible to via the mount point WSL2 Debian /mnt/f’; it was and is fully functional; consistently.

This rules out a bad socket. Maybe a driver, but the fact that its functional in the Unix shell, it appears to gets enough power. There is no special power requirements for the 1TB memory extension that I have read.

The next configuration experience, marked Current, as I am currently using now, in fact has been operating for four days without incident. HDMI ports on USB 2/4 are plugged in.

I would think, the configuration Original Expansion slot 3 using 1TB, expansion slot 5 and 6 using HDMI (no monitor plugged in reasoning is to keep the testing safe) is the ROOT PROBLEM the HDMI incorrectly configured on Slot 5/6 as described by the above official diagram of expansion card requirements.

Please accept my apologies for being so verbose but I believe it to be for the greater good of the community. This is an example and experience from my original diagrams regarding the expansion slot requirements.

In the end, FW16-Batch18 has been operationally solid and will signoff on my Teams’ purchase.

[quote="Joseph_Savard, post:6, topic:55098"as ]
The updated comparison is below:

Current