USB4 Dual or Triple-4k@60Hz hub/dock (ud-6950pdz)?

Anybody has any experience with this for Framework 16 on Linux?
My Dell WD19TB (TB3) setup worked with Dell Precision 5540 with 2x4k@60Hz (I guess one of the monitors is in alt mode), but with FW16 one of the monitors is pinned to 30Hz with no option to change.

I’m considering buying this one. Anybody has any feedback?

That Pluggable dock uses a DisplayLink chip.

A DisplayLink chip is essentially a GPU that has been stripped down to the bare minimum for running displays and connects over USB 3.0. (And relies on the main GPU in the system for doing the rest of the work)

This allows it to work even on systems that don’t normally support display output (in fact it can work on all 6 of the ports on the Framework 16, not just the 3 that support display output), however it does result in a bit of visual artifacting and latency. Many users have also reported stability issues with the DisplayLink drivers.

In my experience the Dell D6000, which uses the same DisplayLink chip as that, works well with most devices I’ve tried. I haven’t tried it with the FW16 but if you’d like I’d be happy to test it in a couple hours.

D6000 is ancient. I didn’t pick it even against WD19TB 4 years ago, because of how old it was at the time.

I’m looking more for TB4/USB4 with 2x or 3x 4k@60Hz (2x minimum), since I also need at least a USB 3.2 port for a 3.2 hub for all the accessories.

The chip that it uses for driving the displays is the DisplayLink DL-6950, which is the same chip as what’s in the Pluggable UD-6950PDZ that you linked.

Here’s a suggestion for something to try:

In the AMD drivers under display create a new custom resolution. Fill in 4k 60 Hz and select “CVT - Reduced Blanking” under timing standard. Do this for both displays.

That will create a separate resolution setting that has less blanking than normal (blanking is bandwidth that is deliberately wasted in order to improve compatibility with old displays). Mathematically dual 4k 60 Hz with the normal amount of blanking is just a bit beyond what the DisplayPort link is capable of, so conserving bandwidth by reducing blanking may be able to get it working.

Edit: Sorry, I missed that you’re on Linux. I don’t know how to do my suggestion on Linux, only on Windows.

1 Like

I guess I’ll try this one then:

I’m looking for something similar but have not found any yet myself. Displaylink hubs are okay for work but they are low refresh rate and annoying to get working in Linux.

I know it’s not what you are looking for, but I settled on this triple display hub for now. I get 2x60hz 1440p and 1x120hz 1440p out of it. Good enough for now.

There is an arguably better one here that will do all 3 of my 1440p monitors at 120hz, but it had quirks that made it pointless to use. Every time I connected my Framework16 to it, I would have to disconnect all three monitor cables and then plug them back in for it to work.

If you want triple monitor and high refresh and resolution support, you need to look for MST Hubs that support DSC (Display Stream Compression).

What about this dock by Anker?

I’m looking to potentially replace my desktop with my FW16 when it comes in and have been looking at different docks. I’m not sure what features i need to be looking for though, but this Anker dock looks similar to the Pluggable but cheaper.

1 Like

Driving 1440p is, luckily, not an issue. Driving 4k@60Hz apparently is. I don’t care about going more than 60Hz but at 30Hz there is a perceptible annoying lag on window dragging and even text typing.

Does anyone know if Framework 16 actually has DisplayPort MST?

Tried this one. Found and filed 2-3 more amdgpu bugs in the process (including one driver lockup requiring reboot).

Both screens eventually initialize but EDID pins them at 30Hz max (with options for 25Hz etc). Also judging by the dmesg Thunderbolt fails to initialize:

[  354.689528] thunderbolt 1-2: new device found, vendor=0x2230 device=0x2027
[  354.689537] thunderbolt 1-2: Plugable Plugable UD-4VPD
[  355.818483] thunderbolt 1-2: device disconnected
[  356.949717] thunderbolt 1-2: new device found, vendor=0x2230 device=0x2027
[  356.949726] thunderbolt 1-2: Plugable Plugable UD-4VPD
[  358.064891] thunderbolt 0000:c6:00.6: 0:4 <-> 2:3 (USB3): activation failed
[  358.066679] thunderbolt 0000:c6:00.6: 2:3: USB3 tunnel activation failed, aborting
[  358.066687] thunderbolt 0000:c6:00.6: 2: USB3 tunnel creation failed

Thank you! I might get it and see if it works.

As I posted, I’m using one such hub…so yes.

1 Like

So it’s not the cables. UD-4VPD is still stuck at 30Hz on each screen at 4K.
Trying Anker 568 with 2xDP, will report ASAP.

Anker 568 works out of the box with 2x4k@60Hz via two DP-1s.
The only downside it seems is that this is a 1GbE dock, not 2.5GbE, but otherwise it is working perfectly so far!

Thanks everyone for your help!

Oh no, I lied…

One of the monitors is refusing to switch to 60Hz even though the EDID option is there.

Nevermind again. Updated Anker FW to 1.39, enabled Freesync on both displays, unplugged, plugged back in, both are now at 60Hz!

Ah that’s a good catch on the 1gig on the Anker dock vs 2.5g on the Plugable one. I didn’t notice that when I was looking at the specs… Happy to hear the Anker one is working well though!

1 Like

I use one WD19TB (TB3) and one WD22TB (TB4) at the same time.
Never had any problems with monitors but I only used 1080p with 60 Hz so far with the dock.

1080P is never a problem. At 4k@60Hz on WD19TB (TB3), which I have, getting both 4k@60Hz is extra tricky and didn’t work with FW16 (vs Dell Precision 5540) - TB3 doesn’t have enough bandwidth or barely enough (depends on numerous factors).
No clue about WD22TB (TB4) but there is enough bandwidth for 2x4k@60Hz over USB4 for sure.

Any experience with 1440p? I am ordering the Anker hub for my setup. I have two 1440p monitors than can go up to 170 Hz.