Welcome! Please introduce yourself - 2nd edition

Hey Guys, i am from Germany, 30years young and a PC Hardware/Gaming/Car Enthusiast.
As i wanted a full AMD Notebook for Deployments with USB 4 for my eGPU at Home, there was not much Option than ordering a Framwork 16 with dGPU :slight_smile: I am powering a Legion Go + RX6800xt USB4 eGPU right now as my one and only Setup and well its not that great as an all Purpose Device while being on the ā€œGoā€ and the Lack of 32GB+ Ram its not great for some Situations. So i opted for the Framework Laptop 16.
Im looking forward to get my Batch 20 :heart:

1 Like

welcome to the community! ā€˜30 years youngā€™ lol I love it!

1 Like

Greetings!

ā€¦Michael, from canada, the rest of my story is rather complicated, Iā€™ll perhaps give more details later.

Iā€™m here to ask one rather simple question. In my experience, there has only been one part of my laptops that has ever given me issues: the usb ports. that is, for now, the only reason Iā€™m interested in the framework. The reason is simple: usb ports are the one part of a laptop, in my experience, that experience extensive wear-and-tear. via the process of inserting and pulling out usb-keys. I have had to replace entire motherboards solely because the usb ports stopped working, due to wear. So, does the framework laptop provide a solution to this problem? If I get a framework, and the usb ports eventually wear out, can I replace -them- -without- replacing the entire motherboard? I have searched for ā€œreplacement usb ports for framework laptopā€ and found nothing, and searched the ā€œreplacement partsā€ part of the framework website, and not found any usb ports, so I am suspecting that this is not in fact the case.

1 Like

In fact thatā€™s one of the primary reasons I bought mine.

As an onsite computer repair tech I replace motherboards all the time - and easily half are because of a loose or intermittent USB-C port.

The great thing about the Framework is that the motherboardā€™s USB ports are protected by the chassis - and the user interacts with cheap, easily replaced USB-C (and other) ports to plug into over and over. In fact the USB-C expansion card is really just a physical extension of the motherboardā€™s port.

If thatā€™s your one concern, then rest assured the FWLT has a great solution.

Andā€¦ welcome!

1 Like

thanks!! ā€¦if thatā€™s the case, can you point me to where I can purchase these replacement ports? because as I said, I looked, and found nothingā€¦ I mean, Iā€™ve found usb-ports online, I think sparkfun had some, but I then checked my laptop and found that -itā€™s- usb ports werenā€™t the same shape, so clearly, there is more than one kind of usb-portā€¦

All FW13 mainboards come with 4 USB4 ports in USB-C form. The FW16 comes with 6.

Frameworkā€™s idea is that you get to decide what ports you want: USB-C, USB-A, HDMI, DisplayPort, microSD card reader, storage, Ethernet, headphone jack. Full sized SD is in development. So they make expansion cards that plug into the USB-C port in the motherboard and lock into slots in the chassis.

You insert the ones you need and can swap them out when you want.

The idea is the motherboard ports are protected and see limited connect/disconnect cycles while the much cheaper expansion cards take all the wear and can be replaced affordably.

You can get as many as you want when you buy the laptop or you can get more later.

Here they all are. Framework | Framework Marketplace | Expansion Cards

1 Like

Welcome to the community Michael! As others have already answered, the answer to your questions is yes. if your USB A port is damaged/broken for any reason, you simply replace the expansion card and you have a new port, there is no need to replace the mainboard.

3 Likes

hah! no wonder I didnā€™t find it! you rock! 12 bucks? sold! ><

4 Likes

Hello! I am an urban planner and aspiring homesteader in upstate NY. Among a wide range of interests, I like to build desktop PCs so Framework is a great fit for me. Moving over from several generations of Mac laptops. I should note that I donā€™t have one yet, but will be purchasing a 16ā€ when a Strix Point (Halo?) mainboard is released.

1 Like

Welcome to the community!!

Just ordered my first Framework laptop an hour ago. Been intrigued about what Framework is doing ever since they started and very stoked to make the 13" AMD version my daily driver. Long time FOSS enjoyer, just need to pick which distro I am going to be installing now :smiley:

3 Likes

Hello, part of Batch 20 for the Framework 16. Starting a new job soon, and I will be using this new laptop for the new job. Excited for both the job & the laptop!

2 Likes

Welcome to the community, nailed!

1 Like

Welcome to the community haxel and congrats for the new job!

1 Like

@Destroya Thanks for keeping on top of the newcomers and the welcomes.
:sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Hello, Iā€™m Cris. Iā€™m generally excited about open source and reparability, and have been following framework since before reallye early on, and remember getting really excited when I saw Linus tech tips announce he would be investing, giving framework a really big signal boost

My old thinkpad has finally kicked the bucket after an unceremonious fall from 1ft off the ground, so I finally get to upgrade to a framework! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Cris!

1 Like

Retired marine engineer based in the Scottish highlands. Thinking about a new laptop as mine has only 4 GB of non-upgradeable RAM.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community Martin!

Hello! I started the year off with a new official title at work. I am the first Product Manager for my company. I started in Tech Support and have moved up since. I heard about Framework on Youtube, before LTT (which sounds super hipster XD but oh well).

My love for repairing things and how easy it is to upgrade this laptop was a no brainer. I have built every desktop computer I have ever owned. Plus a dozen or so, for family and friends. Building a laptop was the logical next step for me.

I legit parted everything out individually from the marketplace. Smart or majorly dumb, it was an experience. One I could not have done without those same family and friends to help me get components

This is the first laptop I have ever ā€˜purchasedā€™ for myself, and I want it to be around for a while. I believe Framework can help keep this laptop around for years to come!

5 Likes