What advantage does the FW official charger has over the aftermarkets?

I keep the 60W FW charger at home and use a small Anker 30W one out and about. Works fine.

The FW charger is 3-prong/grounded, most (all I’ve been able to find) other ones are not. Without ground, you typically get the tingling leakage current sensation.

A “tingle” sensation may be felt when touching the exposed metal portions of the notebook and/or 2 -prong AC adapter when the AC adapter is plugged in. The “tingle” sensation is not an indication of a failed or defective ground.

A 3-prong adapter is one option to eliminate the “tingle” sensation. The other is to change some of the environmental factors involved. As an example, the “tingle” sensation won’t happen when running the notebook on battery power. Also, you can eliminate the “tingle” sensation by connecting a grounded peripheral such as a USB printer or other device that uses a 3-prong adapter to the notebook.

4 Likes

Thanks for mentioning the tingling leakage… I recall experiencing that and it’s no fun
Hmmmm… I might give FW charger a greenlight due to that reason. unless I can find something.

One thing I like about the official FW charger is that it supports multiple charging voltages over USB PD (5v,9v,15v, and 20v). So while it’s a weaker than a 120w Dell charger for example, the FW charger can charge multiple different laptops and smartphones at fast charging speeds, while the Dell charger simply doesn’t support devices that can’t run on 20v.

Personally I’ll be repurposing the 60W charger of my previous dead laptop. So I guess one advantage of aftermarket chargers is that you potentially already own it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I dont really have the technical knowledge, but in the video he said he didn’t really recommend it…?

To be fair he doesn’t seem to particularly like any of the 65w adapters but basically the take away is it’s alright. The 65w anker nano II is more compact and the 65w amazon basics is cheaper.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a recurring theme on the channel that 65W chargers tend to lack power factor correction, which he really likes to see. Some 100W chargers employ the technique even at low power levels, but I can’t recall a single video where he’s tested a 65W model with the feature.

The reviews are all various shades of pointing out the weaknesses of each charger and this one was indeed pretty positive overall. Not positive enough that I’d buy one if I wasn’t buying a computer, but enough to be very comfortable using the one that came with the computer.

PFC is only required above 65W and costs space and money…

The “Not great, not terrible”/“Nothing really wrong with it” is a pretty good score there XD

what about pps he mentioned, is it important to have?

For charging a framework laptop, not really.

Some phones do use pps for their fast charging, other than that I don’t know a lot of stuff that actually uses it.

Samsung Galaxy S models, for example.

I’m almost certain that most PD chargers support most voltages lower than their maximum voltage. They also must support at least 5 V, regardless of what other voltages they support.

To conform to the standard you’d have to, however dell being dell that is not a guarantee.

Having a mains cord from the wall to the transformer makes it easier to travel between UK & EU. Just swap the mains cord. The wall port styles require complete replacement.
I’m going to use a dock station of some sort at home, and a power supply elsewhere, so a multiport charger that will manage my phone +/- other gadgets appeals.
Not rushing, because my old laptop charger will manage 45W. My Dell TB3 might do, I’m waiting till my FW13 actually arrives.

Possibly this 4-Port GaN Charger 108W, x2 USB-C PD, x2 USB-A | Belkin
I would prefer 4 USBC ports - and buy custom cables for devices for which manufacturer only supplies USBA. Also phone requires QC (Qualcom quick charge) and I don’t fully understand how that relates to PD

Do they (60W and 180W) have PFC(power factor correction) like any other laptop power adapter?

The 180W one does probably have PFC.
Mentioned here Framework Laptop 16 Deep Dive - 180W Power Adapter

And if i recall correctly i once measured my 60W FW Adapter with an energy meter and it does NOT have PFC (I can measure it later today).

2 Likes

The 180w power adapter does have power factor correction.

The 60w adapter does not as it is very slightly below where PFC starts being legally required in the EU (75w from the wall, after accounting for efficiency around 65w adapters are the highest that don’t need it, which is why 65w adapters are super common).

2 Likes

I measured my 60W adapter at full load and can confirm that there is no PFC.

Measurements taken at 230V (power adapter still cold)

Watts

Amps

Has anyone considered that if the Framework Power brick creates a faulty voltage which damages the laptop it will be far easier getting support and under a warrantee if still available.

Conversely if the laptop fails then it could be the fault of ‘another’ brick. Try and get that sorted with Framework or Anker

The other issue is supporting Framework : buy from them.

I use the ‘supplied’ when travelling and a 65W 12V car charger at home :slight_smile:

2 Likes