Windows won't shutdown or restart after batter drain

I left my laptop on overnight, display closed, and I guess the battery drained. After plugging in the power, I was able to turn it on, but now Windows 11 won’t shutdown or restart, it just hangs after the screen goes black. Additionally (relatedly?), it no longer recognizes my USB mouse.

Hi @pibcak,

Welcome to the community. Try leaving your laptop plugged in for a while to charge the battery back up. If Windows is not shutting down or restarting properly, you can try fixing the system files by running the command prompt:

sfc /scannnow

You have to start Command Prompt or a PowerShell session as an administrator though. It will check the drive and repair/replace corrupted system files.

You may also need to reset your bios settings. Sometimes when the battery dies (I mean really dead) the bios settings can be corrupted as the power retaining those settings is depleted.

The way to do this on the 13th gen is like this:
Fully Resetting the Mainboard State

1. Plug in the system to AC.
  2. Remove the Input Cover.
  3. Press the chassis open switch in the center of the Mainboard 10 times, you must press it slowly, so press for 2 seconds.
  4. Release, wait for the red blink on the Mainboard LEDs. repeat.
  5. Press the power button to boot.

I had what sounds to be a similar issue.

The only way I could get it to shut off was by holding the power button. This includes just going into the bios and then exiting, the screen would stay on and remain black.

I also could not detect any USB devices.
(Though if I booted with no USB devices plugged in, then after boot USB worked. Ie no power adapter, USB A etc)

I eventually got a warranty replacement from framework.

Not sure if this is the same issue but it was really weird for me. It started after the battery completely drained.