Framework Tablet Project

This looks awesome promising already! Have fun going on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Looks great! This is awesome!

1 Like

I just released a v1.1 update for the tablet case. It improves some of the printability and access to the expansion card slots. No supports are needed when printing this update

9 Likes

Two big drops today! Iā€™ve released V1.3 of the tablet on my GitHub, which now includes support for the stock battery, speakers, and an iFixit style instruction manual to walk you through the build.

22 Likes

This is impressive. How much does it weigh after assembly?

3 Likes

I just wanted to highlight the assembly manual looks awesome!

7 Likes

@M4X Iā€™m not sure how much exactly I would say less than 5lbs though

3 Likes

Are there any other displays recommended for the tablet? Amazon links tend to rot after a couple of years, as the product eventually sells out, or become unavailable.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be curious to know if the idea of reusing the laptop chassis ā€” basically removing cover+display and replacing the keyboard+panel with a USB display ā€” was at some point on the table and you discarded it for some reason (too big? easier to replace than to augment?).

2 Likes

If there was a way of reusing the existing laptop screen, and assuming a 13.5" screen isnā€™t too big for a tablet (the Surface 8 is 13", so Iā€™d say 13.5" isnā€™t a deal breaker), touch-only panels could be another option: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=usb+touchscreen

2 Likes

Here are third-party media articles about the Framework-Tablet project. Congrats!

English

Other languages

4 Likes

@M4X @mrwm Iā€™ve found this display on aliexpress as well. Itā€™s a pretty generic display Iā€™m sure itā€™ll pop up under a number of different names.

As far as the chassis goes you donā€™t want a display with a footprint larger than the existing case. You start to run into lots of other config changes when you go bigger.

For reusing the framework bottom case you have captive screws that are fairly short and would struggle to reach anything thatā€™s not the keyboard they were designed for. I suppose you could rip them out and even if you figured out a way to do that then you remove your access to the power switch thatā€™s built into the keyboard.

1 Like

If Iā€™m reading that correctly, thatā€™s just the capacitive layer, not the display; one would have to lay it over an existing display (which is what made consider reusing the Frameworkā€™s display).

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve suggested that anywhereā€¦

Since I was thinking about reusing the existing display, I was just wondering whether that would make for a tablet that is too big. But since tablets exist with just slightly smaller screens than 13.5", the Frameworkā€™s 13.5" might still be reasonable.

Makes sense, thanks for the extra insight!

Also, I just realized that another problem with reusing the existing display is that the ribbon would have to be twisted 180Ā°.

1 Like

@M4X

No i was speaking about the external display I used in the Tablet. There are currently no digitizers that I know of that would fit the stock display.

1 Like

Is anyone selling the 3D printed case for this mod? I donā€™t have a printer and would be interested in buying pre-printed.

1 Like

@Nixingit, I could print a case for you if youā€™re interested. Feel free to DM me.

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/FrameworkPuter/status/1558106033263972353
@whatthefilament getting some well deserved attention. Check out the Framework tablet he created!

Just one tIp for Twtiter: It was better to put the ā€œ.ā€ before the @... to show the tweet on the main timeline.

2 Likes

wow. this thread kinda blew up!

3 Likes

I have questions regarding your project - either the author or anyone who replicated the build. I am trying to make my own tablet - but to make it as small as possible (reasons being portability and size of my 3D printer that allows me to print 25x21cm - that barely fits mainboard and battery).

How much space is under the motherboard? In the model, it is quite elevated, adding to the thickness.

How does the case feel, is there a lot of flex to it?

2 Likes

I hope Framework makes an official version of this!

7 Likes