I have a brand-new FW13 AMD 7840 (DIY + 32gb, 1tb ssd), BIOS 3.03, Windows 11 Pro updated to latest, driver bundle installed. The laptop works fine when used as a laptop. When used docked with a USB-C monitor, Windows 11 Pro / the laptop has problems with connected devices (but not the screen itself). There are different symptoms
- After login with monitor connected, Windows 11 taskbar is gray without icons (just a non-usable chevron on it)
- If connection is done after login, sometimes the taskbar is not gray and usable, however, when I try to use via USB hub in monitor connected devices connected, the system hangs in different places. Web cam, it does not work but shows a gray picture in settings. If I try to enumerate sound devices in windows settings: settings menu hangs. However, keyboard/mouse and embedded ethernet works so far.
- When switching off or restart the device (both cases) during or after being connected using Windows 11 shutdown, the operating system shuts down (is black for a while) but the laptop stay on (power button light is on). 10s hard shutdown needed then.
- When going to standby, the system does not restart when clicking on the power button / keyboard. 10s hard shutdown needed.
Summary: Windows 11 hangs when connecting things through a monitor (or hub).
Questions to Framework or the community:
- Has anyone experienced something similar?
- Has anyone successfully operated a Lenovo P27h-20?
- Any other hints or trick and tipps
I have tested so far:
- Monitors work well with Lenovo and Dell devices (power delivery, all devices, etc).
- Cable is the one which came with the monitor. All branded as USB-C. Other (considered more lower quality cables have the same problem).
- Usage without monitor: Works
- Usage with 100w usb charger: Works
- Disconnected all devices from the monitor: No improvement (there is an embedded usb-ethernet card)
- Windows 11 re-install: No improvement
- BIOS 3.03 flashed again: no improvement
- Latest AMD drivers: No improvement
- Tried top right/left and bottom right ports. All work (screen, charging, ethernet/keyboard but have the same problem)
- Looked at the Device Manager: Sometimes refreshes out of nothing (which is an indicator that some devices are added/removed (have not figured out which one)
- Looked at USBTreeView (a diagnostic tool for USB connection/hub/tree): No changes visible there (which is very trigger happy if something is going on with loose connections or devices).
- Lenovo P27h-20: Power Delivery (85W) works, ethernet works, attached mouse/keyboard works, attached webcam does not work, sound enumeration hangs, sometimes the generic device settings page hangs. Windows 11 hangs (gray taskbar).
- Lenovo P27h-10: Power Delivery works, Windows 11 hangs (gray taskbar)
Next steps for me are
- Dig out a old USB-C hub and try with that
- On Monday test it with a Lenovo Thunderbolt dock and some more usb-c monitors at work
- Try to test it with a Thunderbolt cable.
Thanks for your help!!