FW16 Batch 1 Guild

I have the DIY pre-order, batch 1. Given my current laptops are running out of steam, I’m having trouble waiting much longer.

Configuration

• System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Storage: 2TB - Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230
  • Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB
  • I personally would have taken 1 SSD slot with the ability to use any double-sided SSD (I do like my 8 TB SSDs).
  • Memory: DDR5-5600 - 64GB (2 x 32GB)

Expansion Bay System

• Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)

Customization

• Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Lavender
  • Numpad: Numpad Module
  • Keyboard: US RGB (if there was a Linux one with RGB, I would have chosen that one instead)
  • Power Adapter Region: US / CA

Expansion Cards

• 3 x USB-A
  • Ethernet
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • 2 x USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card
  • Storage – 1TB
  • MicroSD
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Audio
    (I know, mamma-mia, that’s a lot of expansion cards, but my needs change often, so it’s nice to have the option to quickly change ports as needed.)

Accessories

• Framework Screwdriver

Included

• Limited Edition pre-order gift: Poster, patch, and sticker sheet illustrated by Stephen Maurice Graham
  • Graphics Module pre-order gift: Starfield™ Premium Edition game code
  • 2 x Extra Spacer: Lavender
  • 2 x Extra Spacer: LED Matrix
  • Extra Medium Input Module: RGB Macropad Module

I’ll mainly use it for a mix of software engineering projects, probably to start helping out with Linux projects like KDE or smaller projects. My main focus will be software development, with a bit of gaming. I plan to use Linux (likely EndeavourOS KDE, which as of their next major release, will be the default for the live ISO and offline installs) exclusively, so seeing a fingerprint sensor work fully with fprintd is great to see.

The only issue for this laptop may be finding a good Wi-Fi 6E / Bluetooth 5.2 card, as MediaTek has been pretty bad from my experience and Intel Wi-Fi seems to need a custom iwl.conf file to work properly for more than 2 minutes without dying. But that’s a challenge I am willing to undertake, as is using Arch.

2 Likes

Not a lot of activity in our guild. How are you all coping?

I’m trying to keep myself from checking for news and updates constantly. And I spend a lot of time thinking about all the coding projects i want to start when I finally get it. I hope the wait is worth it, and we have a smooth launch. :beers:

I bought a Thinkpad T470 that I’m squeezing 24-38hrs of battery life out of while I work on selling my Razer Blade 15 in prep for ordering my FW 16 sometime in the next few weeks.

Other than that, I refresh the forums about once an hour.

Things have slowed down somewhat since the last news email saying it’s delayed, likely to mid December. If they are lucky batch 1ers might get a Christmas present.

Meanwhile hopefully all the niggles with FW13 AMD batches will mean by the time they get to FW16 production the problems will have been ironed out and tested on the FW13s.

1 Like

This is guild is quiet. As a Batch 5, it’s unsettling, lol.

Bought a Beelink SER5 MAX to play around with setting up a MAME machine, as well as got my standing desk and CalDigit TS4 dock ready for the FW16 when it arrives.

Someone mentioned on another thread that the news page had updates suggesting there might be things starting to happen on the 27th, or maybe the following week. Guess we will wait and see, i’m sure this thread will go wild once the first emails go out, then we’ll need to have threads for all the other FW16 batches … :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Upgrading from a FW13, went with the 7940HS + 7700S DIY version. I haven’t completely decided on what storage/memory I will go with, may either reuse the P41 w/ openSUSE TW from my FW13, or start a new install with NixOS on a 990 Pro. As for ram, I had gotten 2x48GB dimms that I’m currently running in a Beelink SER7, but I might move that to the FW16 if I end up using it more. Otherwise it will have the 2x16GB dimms.

Love it. I’m impatient too and need to have an outlet haha

Configuration for FW16 DIY

• Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • RGB US English Keyboard
  • RGB Macropad Module
  • 2TB WD_BLACK SN850X NVME M.2 2280 Primary Storage
  • 1TB WD_BLACK SN740 NVME M.2 2230 Secondary Storage
  • 64GB DDR5-5600 (2 x 32GB) RAM

Expansion Cards

• 3.5mm Audio Jack
  • 250GB SSD
  • Ethernet
  • 4x USB-A
  • HDMI 3rd Gen
  • 2x USB-C

What for

• NixOS Linux on 2TB primary drive (going to dive into NixOS headfirst… this will be a trip)
  • Windows 11 on 1TB secondary drive (some games don’t run well enough on Linux, and I’m writing an add-on for GW2 that I don’t want to play around with Proton for yet)
  • Audio: I have studio headphones that need a physical jack
  • HDMI: Now that I’ll have a laptop, I can actually play Starfield in the living room
  • 2x USB-C: My keyboard is actually USB-C, so it’ll be awesome to have an extra slot for it

Also

I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock Gen 2 that should work as a dock for the FW. Pretty sure I saw somewhere that it worked on the FW13, so I’d expect it to work on the FW16 too. Delivers 230W of power, so I should be able to get nearly all the possible power draw, so that’s exciting. It’ll also let me keep my 2-monitor + keyboard + mouse setup that I’ve been using on my desktop, so here’s hoping.

1 Like

Yeah the 230W on that one isn’t over usb-c so it won’t work with the fw16. It basically just passes through a 230W psu over a combined cable that fits some laptops. They way lenovo did it is imo a combination of ingenious and unga bunga as hell.

I have the same or a similar dock (40AN) and it kinda works with my amd framework 13. There is something weird going on with the main port (it either doesn’t connect or connects in usb fallback mode) but if I plug into the other tb3 port on the dock I get full functionality except for the charging bit, but for the 16 you’d want a separate charger anyway to get full performance. The 40AN only has 65W of pd on the usb-c connection.

That part should not be a problem, displays, usb and networking works just fine, the charging bit is just a bit borked rn but that may or may not get fixed until they ship the 16.

1 Like

Ah, dang. Oh well, guess I’ll be on the lookout for another one. Luckily that was one I got for free. Any idea of a dock that might work for 230W+ power and include the peripherals ?

That might take a while, afaik the framework 16 is literally the first device using the expanded pd standard.

In the meantime you could just go with a 2 cable solution, your free dock for displays network and usb and another one for the charger.

Remember, that 230W is hypothetical usage with GPU/etc all going at max. If it’s 100-120W PD, it’s probably fine for now, especially if you don’t have GPU. And even then, you’d get some play time, since I believe it can use the battery to ‘backfill’ the power needed if it can’t be fully delivered by the dock.

So I’d give it a try for now, for general desktop use, I can’t imagine that the dock can’t provide enough power, in general.

That’s not the case, Cap’ XD, I guess I’ll just have to hope that the 180W that the FW power adapter is enough to game off of without the battery kicking in, because having a “timer” on my game time isn’t exactly something I want to deal with. Though underclocking / undervolting in order to “cap” at 180W is probably something I can do.

This is effectively attempting to replace my desktop. Dave2D’s comparison of the FW7700S with the Nvidia 4060 mobile GPU is extremely promising, as that NVidia card actually seems to be about 120% more powerful (read more fps) than my desktop card (AMD 5600XT), so I’m fairly hopeful that this card can actually deliver at least the same experience if not a better one

1 Like

I’m trying to save money where possible, so my config includes a couple ideas for cutting cost on a build that still performs well for when I enter university for engineering next year.

Configuration

• Ryzen™ 7 7840HS (The Ryzen 9 is almost identical, like people have said)
  • Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Primary and secondary storage: None (I will buy a 1TB Crucial P5 Plus elsewhere)
  • Memory: None (buying 2x16GB 5600MT/s DDR5 SODIMMs separately for the same reasons as above)

Customization

• Keyboard: US English
  • Numpad module
  • 2 x Extra spacer (black)

Expansion Cards

• Ethernet
  • 3 x USB-A
  • 2 x USB-C
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • MicroSD

Yes, you read that correctly, I did not select an audio card…because I already have one (:
[given out at LTX 2023]

Not batch 1, but actually 5. But I’ll join in since I got nothing else to do but wait.

Configuration

• Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
  • Radeon™ RX 7700S + Expansion Slot Blank
  • Primary and secondary storage: None from Framework
    • Solidigm P44 Pro 2 TB (2280)
    • Micron 2400 2TB QLC (2230)
  • Memory: None from Framework
    • GSkill 64 GB (32 GBx2) 5600 MT @ CL40

Customization

• Keyboard: US English
  • Numpad module
  • 2 x Extra spacer (black)

Expansion Cards

• 2 x USB-A
  • 2 x USB-C
  • DisplayPort (2nd Gen)
  • HDMI (3rd Gen)
  • Audio
1 Like

Batch 1 here, I’ll allow it. The number of times I refresh this forum at work…

3 Likes

So… I know we’re all just kinda spitballing here together, but do you guys think the laptops will begin shipping in 2023? Batch 1 has the best chance for it, obviously, but it kinda sounds like it’s coming down to the wire based on the update emails. I’m in full support of them taking all the time they need to make a perfect product, but I’m also excited, anxious, and most importantly leaving for college in the second week of January, lol. I haven’t shut up about this thing all semester so if I go back to school in 2024 with no Framework 16 in my backpack, my friends are gonna roast me to hell and back! :smile:

2 Likes

kind of similar situation, having told all my friends about it, but I also told them that it definitely will take a while…
I am still very optimistic about shipments starting in 2023, everything else strongly depends on how big these batches are and how fast they can get through them. Like, is one batch 100 units or 1,000? 10,000? Or are they ramping up from one batch to the next?
(does anyone know how it was with the FWL13, how big/fast were the batches?)

2 Likes

I still believe they can ship within 2023. :slight_smile: (I’m an optimist.)

They’ve already started the manufacturing line for the mainboards, and their internal firmware deadline is Dec. 8th. They also managed to address fully half of the noted blocking issues in one week from their first update to the second (and another was noted as actually resolved even though they were technically listing it as “in progress” for other reasons).

Even if it slipped another week before they signed off on all the manufacturing, I still think they could ship in 2023. I don’t know if we’ll receive them in 2023, though!

3 Likes

I just hope they will send me an update where I eventually can change the date.
Based on the date and time the shipping takes, I may change the address to my summer mansion as we’ll heading south for the Christmas holidays sigh
The problems … :sweat_smile:

BTW - anyone know which company will perform the delivery? UPS? DHL? regular mail?