FW16 Batch 15 Guild

I saw we were making a subject for each batch but there was none yet for batch 15. So here it is now :slightly_smiling_face:

What CPU/GPU did you choose ?
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS + Radeon™ RX 7700S
  • Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
0 voters

My Setup:

• System: Ryzen™ 9 7940HS
  • LED Matrix*2
  • Black Bezel
  • Primary SSD: KingSpec NX 1TB
  • Ram 64GB: PUSKILL Memoria Ram DDR5 32GB*2

Expansion Cards:

• Ethernet
  • USB-C*2
  • USB-A*3
1 Like

well, at least we aren’t at the end of the line XD

7940HS, no gpu (integrated will meet my needs), numpad (i work on a roguelike, it’s practically contractually required). byob ram and ssd, loosely planning on a samsung 990 pro, and a 2x48 kit from crucial. might shift based on what’s around closer to ship date.

1 Like

Hello fellow 15ers!
Ryzen 7 7840HS + 7700S + Expansion Bay Shell
32GB Crucial 5600MHz (16+16) (bought on Amazon)
WD_BLACK SN850X 2280 (bought on Amazon)
Sabrent Rocket 2TB 2230 (bought on Amazon)

Ryzen 7 7840HS, US English Keyboard no GPU, No expansion cards, No Memory, No SSDs. I test seed unit samples from several vendors at my company and purchase kits of memory for validation as well as SSDs and docks. While I do get partial compensation for these purchases, they do still predominantly come out of my own pocket. For this reason, I literally only ordered the bare minimum on my order. My thought processes was if I can use what I already have on hand for validation with Dell, HP and Lenovo laptops, then I can use it to build up a fairly powerful FW16 for my personal use. If I am able to push a POC that shows it is more cost effective to purchase self customizable laptops and configure to suit in house with validation components I am already using even better. Just ordered a 64GB DDR5 5600 sodimm kit for testing as well as a 96GB DDR5 5600 kit for testing in an engineering style laptop. The only modification I might make to my order is to go ahead and add the GPU for testing with our AutoCAD and SolidWorks use cases.
I also already ordered ans received multiple Modules for USB A & C, HDMI and Storage Expansion that I have already used with my current testing seed units. The Storage Expansion module is nice for putting linux distros that can be easily swapped in and booted from for development work by some of our developers. Kept the Expansion module for my self, but once I had the environment working I created a an image of the module and managed to transfer the image over to some Sandisk thumb drives to give to the developers who wanted a Linux enviroment to develop in. I ordered another set of modules and storage expansion to try setting up a Windows-To-Go environment for the developers who are not comforatable with linux.

Got my ram and SSD a few days ago :slightly_smiling_face:

nice. i’m still holding off, because it looks like it’s gonna be a while, and my expected config (2x48 ram) might drop down in price. or maybe 2x64 will manifest. a girl can dream.

2 Likes

I read that DDR5 and EMMC chip manufacturing was slowing down so manufacturers could raise prices due to them accidentally making to much and having to sell them at a lower price. I was worried prices would potentially get higher so decided to purchase now especially as I pretty much already knew which ones I wanted already

Team, where is my laptop? Jk, not being harsh. Was wondering if there are any realistic dates when it will be shipped. April, May, June?

Batch 12, the (I believe) last batch of Q1 here. I would guess that I’ll probably get mine mid-to-late April, maybe a little later. I would guess yours would arrive perhaps a couple weeks after mine. I do think the speed at which the batches will be shipped out is going to get decently faster than the current pace as the factories get back into the swing of things after Lunar New Year.
Also, in their last update email, they stated:

We’ll remain in continuous production … with most of our total factory capacity allocated to Framework Laptop 16 manufacturing.

So I suspect that future batches will go a lot faster, especially since their main factory for producing RGB Macropads is back in operation:

Production of RGB Macropad will begin directly when the factory re-opens on February 19th.

Best of hopes for ours arriving sooner rather than later!

I really don’t think that you’ll get yours so soon.
I’d be happy to get my Batch 5 before end of March…

1 Like

That’s true, it’s going to be a wait but once they get going should ship pretty fast. Wondering on what the count is per batch? Also, I’m excited about the laptop and company, wish them well.

Some time Q2 so it could be anytime between April 1st and June 30th.batches 1 and 2 have shipped so far for my knowledge as well

strange the forums waited three days to inform me of messages here.

the wait is pretty painful for me… i’m reaching the end of my tolerance of the mid-2012 macbook pro i’m limping by on. i’m currently trying to evaluate the feasibility of setting up a temporary rig with a mac mini (running linux in qemu). this presents new ergonomic challenges for my bed-based arrangement.

june is feeling awfully far away, and i’m still having to temper my hope there won’t be any more schedule slippage.

A couple people have received their Batch 3’s, even.

June definitely feels quite far away. Especially when your waiting for something :slightly_smiling_face:. I hope your able to find a good way to make whatever setup you choose work out until you get your framework. One idea I have that goes into your idea of the Mac mini is to use some kind of remote desktop software on it and remote from your macbook which might be better than your current setup depending on how smoothly the remote software you choose runs

i keep trying remote desktop solutions, but none of them are adequately stable, responsive, or featured (in particular i need low latency sound propagation, which seems to be eternally hard) for me to be comfortable. except the ones that require third party accounts to route nonsense through, and those aren’t acceptable for me.

I built mine around the bare minimum, I’ll find ram and SDD when I get the laptop and get the best I can at current market prices (we’ve got a Microcenter nearby). As for the CPU, I went with the 7840HS, because I didn’t see the value in the 9 vs increased battery life, I want to be lean and portable. I’ve got a desktop with 48 cores I can remote into if I need something done quicker, and want to waste power

I’m hoping for an expansion bay that brings out the PCIe bus to be able to hook up externals cards in the future, so just went with onboard graphics. Picked up a variety of the small expansion bays, but mostly USB-C because I use those the most. RGB keyboard, and a generic number pad, I worked in a bank and learned to 10-key pretty fast so I love number pads.

Main use will be to have a computer on the road when I travel, I’ve got sisters in FL and ID so it should come in handy.

April is around the corner, so I doubt that is going to happen. June it is then! My poor old Lenovo has to hold out!

My excitement for the laptop to arrive makes it so hard to wait :smiling_face:. But from what we know about current progress with shipments so far. It doesn’t seem likely we’d get our laptops until near the end of Q2 at the earliest but we’ll just have to see

yeah i’ve been tempering my expectations and assuming at least july. i don’t want to hope for june until i see more evidence of them accelerating batches.

btw since our earlier exchanges, i threw up my hands and ordered an 11th gen intel framework seconds laptop. this’ll get me through until whenever batch 15 happens.

(and i made sure to arrange for a future home for it, so that i won’t end up with an unneeded laptop sitting on a shelf)