FW16 Batch 1 Guild

I probably agree with this. Sorry if I came across as dismissive. I was responding narrowly to your comments about money.

2 Likes

Really??? I have yet to see that happen on any product where preorders have been available, not just FW laptops. I have had some model railway stuff on preorder which waited 18 months for delivery from the factory, but they have three new items announcements plus some other special items announcements and deliveries between when I ordered and when i received the delivery. I see this happening in many other products as well.

6 Likes

And as I have pointed out elsewhere, at times the FL13 AMD was shipping four batches at the same time, with the starting times for each batch stepped by the approximately one week that they were managing at the time.

So it could get to a point where batch 4 is being announced before batch 1 has finished shipping, going by past history.

If you don’t believe me go back through the FL13 guild batch postings.

And i do wonder how ‘exactly the same’ the order from batch 2 is compared to yours.
If you have ordered an orange bezel and they ordered lavender or black that could well be the difference. I’m using the orange bezel as an example as it seems to be very popular, judging from some of the discussions. But any of the other possible options listed further up this thread (FW16 Batch 1 Guild - #492 by BigT) could also be a cause, and I haven’t seen any discussion on the forum (I’ll grant there could be private discussion we can’t see) about how identical they are between yours and the batch 2 shipping you are miffed about.

8 Likes

I like how you have to remove the part of his post thats actually relevant to pretend they invalidated your feelings, the only thing they said was invalid was worrying about interest, because it absolutely was, sorry you missed out on less than 20 bucks of interest, but its not a valid complaint.

2 Likes

the fraud concern was also there, which is real; i minimize how much money i have in the account i exclusively use for online purchases at any moment in time specifically because i have dealt with repeated fraud problems over the years.

the idea of putting all that money in an account that ever gets used online for an indefinite time makes me very nervous, i’d rather have a more certain idea of “when this will leave the account”.

1 Like

I wish Framework would implement a “charge me now” option on batches that are in the shipping phase. It would eliminate a lot of my financial anxiety as going through a 24x7 account vigil for up to 3 weeks is both mentally and emotionally exhausting. It would also be nice to have an order status page that indicated why the order hasn’t shipped yet.

13 Likes

But when Framework speak of a shortage, a lot of people just change their mind even among the people who had everything for their order but they heard about shortage and ask for something in “stock” instead, then the item that was in stock suddently disappear creating a new shortage. And funny thing: the item that was in shortage is not anymore since there was a lot of order changes, because people dropped the item to something else … just because people are IMPATIENT !

Some people who did not changed anything could have been served first for sure !

It’s not something you can predict and framework does not have capacity yet to fill their stockage with things that are not already ordered by their client. Plus they have to follow the factory production line speed, all 3rd parties and so on. Don’t blame them !

3 Likes

One option is to keep your money in your savings account which is inaccessible to fraud since there is no card associated with it, only moving it into your checking account when you receive your “get ready to be charged” email through the magic of online banking which is usually effective immediately, and certainly within a business day.

A standard credit card provides even more protection, as you can often dispute fraudulent charges before you’ve actually paid for them, unlike debit cards where the money is already gone, and you’re asking the bank to give it back to you.

2 Likes

The point is, we got the “get ready to be charged” email nearly a month ago.

5 Likes

Oh, I see. Sorry, I missed that. Yeah, that is unfortunate, and I guess the only thing to assuage anxieties of holding excessive amounts in your checking account indefinitely would be a credit card. I think PayPal or similar payment platforms could also be used nowadays effectively like a credit card with their delayed payment options instead of directly debiting an account.

Sorry you’re all still waiting though. I hope the dam breaks this coming week!

2 Likes

A standard credit card provides even more protection, as you can often dispute fraudulent charges before you’ve actually paid for them, unlike debit cards where the money is already gone, and you’re asking the bank to give it back to you.

This is getting charged to a standard credit card. The problem is that my bank, upon seeing an unusually large transaction, tends to decline the large transaction at authorization, disable the card immediately, and require a manual account review with me before the card can be used again. It is an automatic anti-fraud measure implemented by the bank. It’s a risk that I deal with every time that I make a major online purchase. It’s just that, for this purchase, the final “charge date” is unknown and not under my control so I have to wait to see if the final transaction will kill the card again.

1 Like

Well that’s obnoxious. I have two major credit cards and they both ask me before declining an unusual transaction. And boy do they ask! Email, text, phone call, repeat. I’m surprised someone doesn’t come up behind me, grab me and shake me while screaming in my face "WHAT DO WE DOOOOO?!” They’ve gotten good at flagging actual fraud too, and not giving me a hard time about things I actually want just because it’s a large number. They picked up on a fraudulent smoothie, but didn’t question an outrageous mechanic bill I incurred nearly 3000 miles from home (don’t get me started on that one).

Again, sorry this has been your experience, but hopefully it’ll be all over this week. The holiday is over, parts are making their way in (except for the macropad), I bet they’ll make good progress this week.

4 Likes

To be fair, the bank does try to call and text when it happens… There was one pre-order period where the card got initially declined and I got a call about a minute later asking me to review recent activity on my account. The account activity review then unlocked the card for the pre-order and other future use. That was annoying and caused me to get a slightly later pre-order position, but at least I was able to catch it before it caused collateral damage. I’m mainly afraid of missing the notification if this purchase ends up getting processed in the middle of (my) night.

2 Likes

You should be able to call them and let them know you have a charge that you’re expecting and tell them the amount it’ll be. I’d think it should be charged from the same account that charged the $100 pre-order amount.

5 Likes

many banks require a timeframe. some require a specific date, or even to give the authorization the day of.

1 Like

This is interesting and completely foreign to me. If I was stuck with a checking account or something for general use on the Internet, I’d find that borderline intolerable. Hopefully it’s not too far off topic: if you don’t mind sharing, what mechanism do you use to pay for things?

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to get them to pre-authorize the transaction despite not having an exact date of charge available. I told them that the charge would happen in the next two weeks. I hope that my statement turns out to be correct.

8 Likes

i have a dedicated account with a card attached (visa numbered) that i place funds into on an as-needed basis. the intent is to minimize how much money can be stolen from a compromised card if it happens again. my bank and set this system up after the fourth time my account was illegitimately billed through major services (one of which was xbox live)

it’s a system that works, but it relies on not leaving funds just laying around. as someone noted, if a transaction occurs that isn’t legitimate, it’s fighting to get money back. my bank has been good to me, but why tempt fate unnecessarily?

and no, i’m not able to have a credit card with a large enough capacity for a purchase of this size.

2 Likes

Have you looked into digital cards? They are created as needed, so you put your digital card info into the pay site, and that card is only good for that transaction, and nothing else ever again, its how at least one company handles their digital pay app. It makes it so even if your info is stolen its no good anymore.

2 Likes

Just curious if any customers have encountered the aforementioned issue of the 2230 drive randomly disappearing, or has that been resolved?

1 Like