FW16 Batch 4 Guild

Well… Amazon’s posting, what can you do :upside_down_face:

Good attention to detail @Alan_Pearce!

I have in my hand and it is M.2 interface. It was the best value at that time. Good luck with your Framework!

Upgrading from FW13 to FW16.

Config:
Ryzen9 7940HS
RX7700S
DDR5-5600 2x32GB
SN850X 4TB
Numpad
Black bezel
RGB keyboard
2x USB-C, Audio, HDMI, DP, 2x USB-A
2 extra black spacers because config wasn’t clear at the time

I’m excited that I’m going back to the larger screen since I primarily use it for development today. Also looking forward to them saying that it is touchscreen-ready, since I left a touchscreen to go to FW13.

I’ll be usually in Linux, but using the external drive modules so I can swap OS’s as needed. Internal NVME won’t be a boot drive; just host my git repos, workspaces; etc.

Apparently the chargers that you can add on new machines are 180W, which are the first of that wattage available. Which…RIP. I have a power adapter on my order, but I don’t know if that’s the same thing as the 180W charger. If not, well I’m a bit out of luck.

I’m pretty sure that the 180W charger is the only option they’ve offered for the FW16.

It notes that the FW16 supports up to 240W… But USB PD chargers with that much wattage don’t exist yet.

The info on the charger says that you don’t need to use theirs, but they do recommend at least 100W without the GPU module, and at least 180W with the GPU module. So, it only makes sense that a 180W charger was the only option available.

I’m just wondering if the charger is the same thing as the “adapter”. I’d hate to have ordered a plug adapter with no actual charger :upside_down_face:

Based on the marketplace , I’d say they are the same thing.

Are you planning to just live boot your OS all the time and have the internal drive only as storage shared between Windows and Linux?

Not live boot. Install to the external drives. I’ve been doing that on the FW13 for the last few years. Have Arch on one, Ubuntu on another, Ventoy on another. I intended to put Windows on one, but never did.

All my compiling/etc is done on the nvme; and I just mount it as needed.

You can ask them to swap the black spacers with whatever color you fancy from their (limited offering :wink:. Best to do it now before Lunar New Year ends - I am hoping Batch 4 ships in March :palms_up_together:

1 Like

Batch 3 just got their prep emails!! Looks like we should be hearing some good news soon!

3 Likes

Music to my ears!!!

Hey Guys! I got a DIY in batch 4, and I was wondering what you guys have purchased for SODIMMs because I decided to go with some 4800 CL40 Corsair Vengeance memory. Having a hard time finding resources about benchmarks for different timings and frequencies, if anyone has input don’t be shy! As for 2230 drives, I’m thinking about buying from Microcenter’s brand, seems like a good deal but it’s TLC

That’s awesome. Batch 2 got their notifications last week, so maybe this means they’ll be able to get a batch out every week? I don’t want to get too excited, but that would be great!

I went with this: Are you a human?
At the time I purchased it, it was $93, so it seems it went up a bit since.

6 days between 2 and 3, much faster than between 1 and 2, i suspect there will be another more minor speed up between 3 and 4, i could see down to 5 days, maybe if we are crazy lucky 4

2 Likes

Rather than 4800 you should get 5600. While the 4800 does seem to work it does not give the best performance. Do not get the 5200, as there have a number of reports of these just not working.

The hype is getting real.
Looking forward to my 6940hs+7700s.
I went ahead and just pre-ordered 2TB of storage and 64G of memory from Framework as well.
I would like to pick up a 2230 drive at some point, but I haven’t looked at those super closely yet, I’m sure I have some time.

Any second now, we’ll be getting our batch4 emails I can feel it.

Im dying to see when they start just to keep adjusting what my timeframe is in batch 6

1 Like

Could’ve sworn I was in Batch 3 when I ordered, looks like I’m in Batch 4 now…

At least some of the Batch 3 folks have been getting the “we’re getting it ready to ship!” emails? Ah well, more opportunity for the RAM/SSD to go on sale before I have to order them…

Yeah, and more opportunity for the Linux keyboards to arrive at the factory!

just checking in too, i preordered the ryzen9 with the graphics module, blank keyboard with macro pad. i plan to go with linux and virtualize/containerize everything.

i go with my own sourced memory and SSD, the memory is a 96GB kit already collecting dust for a month (Crucial CT2K48G56C46S5), and the ssd is a tiny 256gb coming from another machine which i upgraded to 1TB 2230 drive. im way hyped to get it already!

3 Likes