Laptop shuts down during sleep

Just discovered this: https://www.xda-developers.com/amd-chipset-driver-pc-wake-up-from-sleep/
To check your AMD S0i3 Filter Driver version go to C:\Windows\System32\drivers and hover over the ZenProMnf.sys file. Alternatively go to device manager, click view->Devices by driver, then right click oem111.inf (zenpromnf.inf), click properties. The 1.0.0.19 version has fixed this issue.
It looks like the latest Framework driver bundle date is 10/24/23, so they have not pushed this update yet. Due to the large amount of network issues related to this I think this may be the cause. Doesn’t explain the issues on Intel chipsets though.
If you want to try installing the updated driver, try these steps AT YOUR OWN RISK:

1. Download the full chipset driver package here: https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amd_chipset_software_6.01.25.342.exe
  2. Open the file, the driver package should then extract, and an installer window will open.
  3. Close the installer window and go to C:\AMD\Chipset_Software\Packages\IODriver\S0i3Filter
  4. Open the AMD-S0i3Filter-Driver.msi to install the driver.

You say shut, you mean sleep. It will sleep for a while, maybe until 5% of the battery is used (default) then power off and hibernate.

That’s the default setup.

I really want to sell my laptop but I can’t due to this ongoing issue which sucks might have to just take the loss.

At least for me, I know it has shut down because all my apps are closed, Chrome reports an unexpected shutdown, and Windows Event Viewer also reports an unexpected shutdown.

2 Likes

I’ve have this issue, got tired of troubleshooting and I just live with it. I’m going to install fedora this month once 40 is released. Not sure if linux users have this issue.

Claiming it’s not “reproducible” and the lack of bios updates on 12th gen is leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Like

So has anyone tested if this issue persists on bios 3.08 for 12th gen intel platforms, framework sent out an email about new updates and 3.08 is apparently out but unfortunately there are no driver bundles since 2022 lol

1 Like

I am also having this issue where there is an abnormal shutdown when opening the lid. This happened 3 times in the last 24 hours. I have 2 USB-C, 1 USB-A, and 1 micro SD card module installed. Running Windows 11.

EDIT
Literally just happened again:

Similar to what @kelly_wu said, I know it has been shut down, not hibernated. All my programs are closed, so it’s not going into any kind of sleep or suspended mode where it maintains a working memory. This is happening even while plugged in.

I posted before that if anybody has resources for how to record these events, I’d be interested in them.

It’s not reallyy a problem for me, because it just encourages me to save and clean up my work every time I’m done for the day. But it’s not ideal.

My laptop (12th gen) did recently have to do a self-test on it’s drive when booting, but it got through it fine. The occasional scream tearing has dropped off considerably, as well. Overall, we are doing a-ok eighteen months in.

So i believe this issue is most likely caused by (no surprise) windows update. I was having my laptop shutdown at random intervals in days when put to sleep. Initially i have windows update blocked by two different apps and the windows update DNS blocked. After realizing i had installed pro version of windows, i used gpedit to disabled EVERYTHING under windows update and have since (at least for 10 days) not had a random shutdown while asleep.

2 Likes

Do you have the fingerprint device enabled? For me, that was what was causing it. There seems to be an issue where the driver causes a fault waking from Sleep. As such, waking up to do Windows Update, backup job, lid open, etc. can cause the hard crash.

Disabling that in BIOS did the trick and I’ve not had an issue since.

1 Like

I do have it enabled and use it for signing in.

On my system, it was the root problem. Unfortunately, Framework has not issued an updated driver for this yet. I’ve requested this several times, but there’s been no movement there.

Hey guys based on my observations the root issue seemed to be related to the fingerprint and something with its security configuration on windows 11. Framework hasn’t released an official driver for the goodix fingerprint that the laptop uses on the FW13. But, there is an new official driver out there that the FW16 uses and Ryzen 7040 CPUS use. Someone in another thread said that using that driver for the FW13 works and stops the error popping up for the sensor when going into device manager. It also fixes the fingerprint sensor not even showing up when trying to log in. So what I did was install driver fusion which detects outdated drivers, the new driver for the sensor was recommended so I installed it an its been a couple of months and I have yet to see the fingerprint sensor fail on me, I also never experienced random shutdowns since which were most likely caused by this. I recommend you guys try it so we can get a consensus. Unfortunately, the program is paywalled but for me it was good to have anyways. Driver Fusion - The Best Driver Update and Backup Software for Windows - Treexy

Also for anyone interested the latest driver that FW provides is 3.12804.0.170 and the new driver on driver fusion is 3.12804.0.240

this is also a note from FW directly stating that this driver version fixes firmware security vulnerabilities

2 Likes

No need for a paywalled download. You can download the driver pack from Framework and unpack the exe with 7zip (or WinRAR I guess) to get to the individual driver.

2 Likes

Oh I thought you couldn’t get at the driver individually based on what I had for the 12th gen package, it was an executable that installed everything at once if I can recall.

It is indeed a self-extracting .exe but you can still crack that open with 7zip or WinRar and get to the individual files. I tried it yesterday and it worked.

1 Like

Oh interesting!

I have the Ryzen 13" laptop with linux (manjaro).
Disabled the fingerprint sensor, updated the bios.
Same behavior.
Computer turn off after suspending for more than a few hours or so, loosing all my progress in open apps.

So frustrating!

1 Like

Thanks for this info and links. For people with Intel Mainboards, the latest Framework 13 11th Gen bundle contains the 3.12804.0.240 driver, but the latest Framework 13 12th Gen bundle has an older driver. I don’t know if the AMD driver package from the Framework 16 is compatible with Intel boards.

FWIW I’m having the “laptop shuts down during sleep” problem even with the Goodix driver installed (Framework 13 12th Gen Windows 11 23H2). I haven’t disabled the fingerprint reader (which is working great) in BIOS yet. I am experimenting with combinations of display and wi-fi drivers and will report back to the entire thread if I think I have a good solution to the shutdown problem.

Is your system still working properly with the fingerprint device disabled in BIOS?

Unfortunately, that didn’t fix the problem on my system (Framework 13 12th Gen i7-1260P, Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210, BIOS 03.08 which is latest for 12th Gen, Goodix fingerprint driver version 3.12804.0.240).

Sometimes I’ve had it go for a week without a shutdown, but then suddenly start shutting down every night. I disabled the fingerprint reader when I was getting shutdowns nightly and it still shut down the following night.

I’m beginning to think this may be Gen / processor / BIOS dependent issue vs. the Goodix driver or hardware (although I didn’t try uninstalling the device in Device Manager before disabling it in BIOS). I have a feeling the fingerprint functionality may be separate from the power button latching circuit. It seems obvious from this thread that the problem occurs when the OS attempts to come out of sleep to do maintenance (anyone know if a processor pin toggles for this or it is the RTC?)? Maybe the latch just gets momentarily starved for power and unlatches when this happens, or is explicitly “notified” the system is waking up and “oops”. Link to an example latching power circuit:

http://www.mosaic-industries.com/embedded-systems/microcontroller-projects/electronic-circuits/push-button-switch-turn-on/microcontroller-latching-on-off

P.S. I also noticed @Tomas_Hayes is getting the shutdown with the fingerprint sensor disabled too.

2 Likes