Swollen Battery <1yr in, How to address?

Can we please stop treating a bloated battery like it’s nbd? As someone who’s punctured a battery in my living room (bent a phone battery during replacement), I think it’s a little more serious than that. They’re fire hazards to everything around, and burn hazards to your hands which are resting on top of it. Not to mention strongly poisonous. I have not charged my laptop above 60% (I’ve only charged it at all because I need it for school), and I have the front two input cover screws unscrewed to alleviate all pressure.

2 Likes

I agree with @Be_Far, bloated battery ( also called “spicy pillow”) is not something normal and is a fault of the battery, either by user fault or a manufacture defect.

Remember Galaxy Note 7… battery with defects with no room to “bloat”

2 Likes

For the function of the battery it mostly isn’t (as long as it doesn’t get out of hand but in your pictures the adhesive was still holding it mostly down so there isn’t all that much pressure), for functioning in a device it is because it physically won’t fit and and could get punctured by internal geometry.

The puffing is kind of a downside of pouch cells, cylindrical and prismatics have a venting valve so you don’t notice when they vent but with pouches even the slightest gas production is noticeable. On the other hand it’s an incentive for the manufacturers to make the cells more perfect XD

Non puffed batteries are just as bad if not worse when you puncture them, mechanical damage is a different issue. The state of charge also makes a huge difference about how energetic the event will be if you puncture them, if they are fully discharged to close to 0v like a laptop bms tends to do when it goes int’ safety shutdown they are pretty close to inert.

This may just be pure bad luck or a bad sample, I bought 5 loose pouch cells for a project once (that I of course never actually did as usual) and left them just sitting around, years later one of them was puffed the others were fine, all still at pretty much the same voltage and no charge cycles. That’s just one anecdote on that, the puffing is imo likely not your fault.

That would be totally a non-standard use of a USB-A port.
I’d be surprised if it worked at all. Amazed if it worked well.

I think he means carging from a usb-a source, so 5v. The intel frameworks can do that, the amds physically can too but refuse to due to a ec bug, you can trick it into doing it though.

3 Likes

Ah. Of course.
Okay so line 1 of my reply was a silly misunderstanding on my part.
Line 2 still more or less applies, but you appear to know more about it than me.

Kinda, it should work but is broken on the amd frameworks, works fine on the intel ones and would work fine on amd if the ec code for that gets fixed.

But that’s pretty off topic here

2 Likes

Yes. But it’s much easier for a puffed bat to puncture. Especially if screwed into a laptop with nowhere to expand.

I’m honestly not even comfortable with my own level of safety on this thing right now, I’m only using it out of necessity. A puffed battery is more dangerous than a non puffed battery.

That’s the important bit

Say someone kicks my laptop bag. Non puffed battery? Nothing happens, maybe the lid corners bend like is common on the framework. But a puffed battery and it bursts and starts a fire. It’s the incidentals which make it dangerous.

You may be arguing with the wrong guy here, I never said you should leave it in the laptop.

Puffed battery doesn’t work in a laptop cause it doesn’t fit anymore, if you force it to fit you introduce mechanical damage which is very bad with lithium batteries.

Precisely.

A puffed up battery is one quite small step away from a catastrophic and dangerous failure mode.

It’s already failed and the fact that it’s puffed up and not burst into flames means that the absolute last line of defence is the thin outer membrane containing the pressure.

Let’s not forget there are already a number of safety measures that have failed in order to get to this point, none of which were the fault or cause of the person operating the laptop (unless they are literally smashing it with hammers or trying to fold it into quarters).

Laptop batteries, as I’m certain every single OEM is aware, will quite often be used in a device that rarely leaves a docking station or is away from being charged. 100% charge on a modern Li-Ion is not 100%, just the same as 0% is not literally 0%. There are margins for safety in both directions. There is over-charge protection, short-circuit protection, over-temp protection, over-current protection, physical protections in terms of space around the battery and robust construction that resists puncture and other damage.

Batteries that turn into “spicy pillows” are faulty and dangerous and should be treated with utmost caution - removed from any inside area as a first step.

Imo these puff up over time. So if you notice just outside warranty I’d be trying my luck with support. This just seems like a defect.

You can count me as number three instead then. :grinning:

I have an 11 month old AMD Framework 13 with a 61wh battery. The touchpad clicker stopped working a few weeks ago. Earlier this week I ruled out problems with the input cover. Removing the battery fixed the problem. The replacement is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

1 Like

One clear issue is that of swelling, due charging or discharging at a rate to create heat, worse on a hot day enclosed in a laptop.

The swelling is oxygen and if not contained can help establish a fire.

NIMBY thank you.

:scream: