USB C is not compatible with iPhone 15 / Pro / Pro Max

It looks like this topic was abandoned. Support never acknowledged this issue.

Best bet is to contact them via email.

3 Likes

Realistically speaking, Framework is working on catching up on a pretty big backlog of more straightforward and important firmware fixes. (This power-related behavior is controlled between the “EC” aka embedded controller, and the USB-C control chips, and BIOS updates sometimes include updates for all these other chips as well.)

They’re over a year behind on the Intel 12th gen BIOS update, but have reported that a new candidate version was being tested internally last week and may be made available as a beta this week. There’s various known security vulnerabilities in the Insyde bios codebase that people are hounding them to fix in new firmware releases. The AMD model has an interesting charging issue that a user analyzed, it draws too much current while negotiating the switch from 5v to 20v so most power adapters below 60W cut off (even though 45W and even 30W chargers should work). The AMD model also has an interesting extra-suspend-wake-event bug that has been fully analyzed. And 11th gen had a firmware release that’s still just waiting for a linux or UEFI installer.

All that to say, this issue is very likely to not be fixed any time soon, but it still might eventually. It may help to email support just to put more votes behind prioritizing it (after all the stuff listed above).

I think the problem here is clearly identified and easily reproducible, but the solution might not be so easy; it might not be easy for the EC and USB-PD chips to know whether they should charge from or to the phone. I wonder if setting a minimum at 20W or so for charging would help … I’ve heard that some users have had success charging a Framework from a 10W or 15W usb charger, very slowly, while suspended or off … might have to sacrifice that to fix this.

Sorry @pierce, but Framework is a company that produces consumer hardware. If it was any other company, their customers would be sharpening their pitchforks and voting with their wallets. I understand that Framework is trying to catch up, but bugs like these should be trivial to catch during product validation.

Have you opened a ticket with Support?

Are you able to tether with a USB-A cable or over bluetooth?

Opening a case with Support will ensure that it is officially on their radar. Next, if the other options work, then while not ideal you would have a viable alternate means by which to tether the phone, until such time as the issue is addressed.

3 Likes

What did Apple say when you reached out to them about this issue? You seem to be ignoring all the suggestions in here to try different brand phones, different cables, etc. Can’t help you if you don’t narrow down the issue.

1 Like

I have the same issue too. The USB-C cable seems to charge Samsung devices perfectly fine, but at rather slow rate of 6.2 watt. The USB-C seems to have trouble charging a anker portable battery, but works fine on other portable battery. Using USB-A can indeed charge iphone/Samsung phones with no problem. But with an unacceptable 2.4 watt average.

How fast does it charge with other Laptop´s?

My iphone charges at 10.78 watt and Samsungs with 7.51 watt with MBP. I’s like to think framework can output 15 watt. Although depending on the charging standards.

I confirm the same issue with the Framework Ryzen 13"
Same issue with iPhone 15 pro, no issue on a Samsung Galaxy S23u however.
(I only needed to charge the phone in this case, no need for data, but even this would not work)

Have you updated to the 3.03b BIOS?

Same issue with the 3.03b firmware

FYI I have the exact same issue on my iPhone 15 Pro as well. No issue whatsoever on other laptops.

I’ve tried usb tethering with my phone (android 14) . No problem. My amd fw13 connected without any issue. I’m posting this right now passing through the phone. The phone is also charging from the laptop, don’t know how fast, but looks like a fine speed.

My OS is Ubuntu 23.10, processor is 7640U, bios version 03.03B (but I don’t think any of these matters).

1 Like

Tested with my android phone on my FW16, no issue. Just to add more data points. Honestly though, it’s pretty obvious it is the phone at fault. Iphone users need to disable the iphone-charging-devices setting. If there is no setting, then get after Apple to add it.

1 Like

All these posts and no logs!

350.907546] xhci_hcd 0000:c1:00.3: Refused to change power state from D0 to D3hot
[  351.457732] usb 8-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[  351.668426] usb 8-1: Device not responding to setup address.
[  351.875511] usb 8-1: device not accepting address 11, error -71
[  352.900786] xhci_hcd 0000:c1:00.3: Refused to change power state from D0 to D3hot
[  354.891632] xhci_hcd 0000:c1:00.3: Refused to change power state from D0 to D3hot
[  354.897903] usb 8-1: new SuperSpeed Plus Gen 2x1 USB device number 13 using xhci_hcd
[  354.916334] usb 8-1: New USB device found, idVendor=05ac, idProduct=12a8, bcdDevice=16.01
[  354.916341] usb 8-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[  354.916344] usb 8-1: Product: iPhone
[  354.916345] usb 8-1: Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
[  354.916347] usb 8-1: SerialNumber: -
[  354.997210] apple-mfi-fastcharge 8-1: can't set config #1, error -71
[  354.997417] apple-mfi-fastcharge 8-1: USB disconnect, device number 1

I’ll work on disabling that driver next.

Yes, I’m on the beta BIOS.

lol

2 Likes

Confirming it’s not OS-specific, it’ll even slow down the POST memory test!

What on earth have you done, Framework? It even fails on USB A.

@Loell_Framework if you allow me to upload files I have captured a USB event trace.

It’s currently at https://static.voltagex.org/bugs/framework/usbtrace.zip

1 Like

I don’t believe discourse, the forum software used here, has the option to add file types selectively for a specific user. It’s just configured for all users, with an optional separate list for all staff.

2 Likes

The more I use Discourse, the more limitations I find. Thanks anyway.

1 Like