AMD Batch 10 Guild

received my diy package a day early (go fedex!) and slapped it all together, loaded linux mint debian edition without any issues, but I have noticed a blue hue “coffee cup” ring on the screen as I boot. This exists in bios if I disable the fast boot and quiet boot options. Has anyone else seen this on their screens? I’ve tried multiple distributions and the ring is still there regardless of what I run.

@Matt_Hess i havent seen this, only a framework logo in BIOS.

I did have issues with RAM however. I had ordered a set of Crucial 5200mhz ram, and the screen would not turn on. Further research shows others with the same issue (the crucial ram also only runs at 4800mhz). Had to grab a sacrificial stick from another laptop to get running. Il be returning this ram amd grabbing a set of 5600mhz.

Slightly off topic: the process of awaiting shipment is taking me back over 40 years as I awaited delivery of the ZX Spectrum as a young teenager. Amazingly I’m as excited now as I was then! Thank you Framework for your whole approach - the tech, the innovation, the community. That 8 bit PC with 48k RAM changed my life - I’m now a professional software engineer with a PhD, about to co-found my own company. I wonder where my Framework will take me ….

5 Likes

Update on this, I have actually done some things that are heavily reliant on internet speed and I have noticed I have never seen a Download exceeding 150 Mbs or a Upload exceeding 50 Mbs on Linux that is, on Windows it’s even worse. (for reference on my old laptop I was seeing about 950 Mbs Up and Down) Guess it’s a good thing I can just run ethernet.

So payment taken at around 8:20pm yesterday evening. Received shipping email this morning and FedEx is saying it will deliver by this Friday noon. Based in England, DIY Ryzen 7 without SSD, RAM, OS or charger. I did get two USB-C and two USB-A along with HDMI and Ethernet.

1 Like

Shipping Email this morning. Delivery by FedEx to the UK Friday. V excited :smiley:

1 Like

Same here: UK person, shipping email received this morning with tracking details that show it’s moving. However, I haven’t seen a charge to my credit card (but my banking app doesn’t show pending).

Ken.

I just received the unofficial invoice for FW13 :thinking: It was automatically sent by the electronic invoice system. The sender’s email address is the official customer service of the framework. But there is no mention of shipping information.

Just now, the sf-express courier called to confirm the address, and my family collected it on his behalf. I think I ordered FW13, but I didn’t receive any shipping notification at all, which is strange.

Got mine 2 days early yesterday (12/12 instead of 14/12).

Set up and all good. Having some weird charger issues I’ve posted about elsewhere, seems like a firmware issue with mt specific choice of charger.

Got Windows 11 booted, messed around in Registey Editor to get my desktop icons lined up closer to the task bar (they sat a few cm away initially and it was a really annoying gap), and set up all my other stuff. Been working great- really snappy machine. Massive upgrade from my like 6+ year old laptop that was refurbished when I got it.

3 Likes

Got my delivery to Vienna in Austria one day earlier, the 13th instead of 14th.

5 Likes

My mainboard arrived, and just installed it.

It’s scary how quiet the fan is compared to my previous 11th I5 board.

2 Likes

Totally! I’m digging the upgrade as well. Out of curiosity, what’s your battery life looking like (assuming you are using the original stock battery)?

I was using TLP on my i5, and since the FW guides advice against it, maybe a bit less? OG battery, tempted to get the new one, but it’s not a huge deal, I’m usually near a plug.

1 Like

Weighing in on the battery life thing, I’m seeing a good 5-6 hours of mainly productively focused use after going through all the normal battery life stuff (regedit, startup, background tasks, power mode, etc), I’m also running the laptop at 80% max battery capacity and general keeping it at no less than 20%. I could probably push it to 8-9 100%-0%, but I like my battery health :wink: Side note: I highly HIGHLY recommend rebinding the main power button to put the machine into hibernation instead of just sleep (google Windows Modern Standby if you don’t know what I’m talking about).

Okay, yeah, that’s about what I’m seeing right now. I’m really itching for that 61Wh battery when it becomes available again… I’m not running Windows, but I set the mem_sleep_default=deep kernel argument which does help.

I wish the battery threshold could be something that could be set by systemd, but apparently support isn’t there yet. For now, I’m setting charge threshold via BIOS :confused:

I haven’t looked into EC stuff yet

I’ve used 2 different screens (just installed a matte screen this month), I haven’t seen anything like that for any distro on the matte or glossy displays. This should be a support call, IMO.

Tracking location hasn’t changed in 2 days now, shipping to Europe(Germany) from all I can tell still in china, supposed to arrive today.

Same for me to France should be delivered by noon today but no tracking change since the 12th

1 Like

Installing Nixos for fun, and it’s so weird not hearing the fan spin high and how much faster it goes through the installer.