Batch 2 - Intel 12th - Guild

Yeah the i7 delays seem to be hitting everyone regardless of location. Still at step 3 on my 1280p order shipping to the US

Gosh dangit! Right now my credit card company eff’ed up and I had to switch to a CC that - at the moment - has not sufficient funds to cover the full payment… I just topped it up but god knows how long it takes to go through the system. And right now i saw that Framework tries to charge the card. Hope it goes well.

One of the i7-1260p “victims” in EU btw. Wish me good luck.

Hope it’s not stuck at somewhere hot. …accelerated battery degradation.

I just got this Email:

We know you are eager to get your Batch 2 Framework Laptop, and we wanted to give you a quick update. We’ve cleared through most of the production and fulfillment backlog, but unfortunately have a quantity of mostly i7-1260P based configurations remaining, including your order. We apologize again for the delays on this and thank you again for your patience. The TL;DR is that we’re working with our manufacturing partner to prioritize assembling and packing out these orders before the end of next week and hope to ship units out as early as possible after that. The detailed version is below:

We don’t have an excuse, but instead want to offer more transparency on the production and fulfillment process:

1. Production planning for manufacturing starts up to a year ahead of shipments, with placement of orders for very long lead time components like power ICs and microcontrollers, some of which pushed up to 70 weeks (!) over the last year.

2. Major high-value components like CPUs and modules like the battery, keyboard, webcam, and others have ordering deadlines a few months prior to production. CPUs and keyboards are especially critical, as we have to predict both the quantity we need and the mix between the different versions (processor models and keyboard languages) long before we have visibility on the actual ordering splits between them.

3. The next deadlines after that are the production quantities for assembly of modules like Mainboards and Input Covers (again, predicting the mix) at our manufacturing partner Compal 1-2 months prior to shipment. Mainboards are especially challenging, as they are manufactured in a room full of extremely expensive, advanced SMT line equipment that is an often overbooked shared resource with other Compal customers (including some other well-known notebook makers).

4. The final step is submitting the final laptop assembly orders a few weeks prior to shipment, which is the last point at which we can adjust the production mix, within the bounds of the modules we produced.

The trick to all of this, of course, is that we need our forecasts to be a very close match to both the quantities and configurations of the orders that end up being placed. Since we know we can’t predict perfectly, we buffer our orders with increased quantities (within what we can budget without putting ourselves at financial risk) to cover mismatches between the forecasts and actuals. What happened with Batch 2 was the combination of the bottlenecks we communicated in the previous emails around production and fulfillment eating into our production buffer along with having actual orders come in with a product mix different than what we predicted. We were still able to build a total number of units exceeding the size of Batch 2, but not of the necessary configuration mix The impact of this is:

1. We’re late on some laptop configurations for Batch 2, including yours.

2. We actually have a fair amount of inventory of Batch 3 laptops of other configurations. We wanted to give you this heads up and apologize in advance, as we will likely end up shipping some of these Batch 3 orders before we’re able to get your Batch 2 order out to you.

We’ve been able to book the SMT line mentioned above for the final run of Mainboards for Batch 2 early next week, after which we’ll quickly complete final assembly, packout, and shipment to the fulfillment center (again without compromising on quality). We’ll send you the next email as soon as the laptops ship out from Compal, and we’ll charge your balance of payment when they arrive through customs at the fulfillment center. One other bit of bad timing on this is that next Friday is a national holiday in Taiwan, putting both our factory and our fulfillment center down for the day. We’re going to push to get as many of these as we can out before that, but if we’re unable to, they will slip into the following week. If any of this timing changes, we’ll send an update email.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding, and we are really, truly looking forward to getting your laptop to you.

• The Framework Team

I ordered a preconfigured 1260 with charger and a bunch of cards and I ordered in the beginning of June to Germany.
Hoping to get it soon.

Greetings from Germany

Felix

15 Likes

This is a much better bit of communication than the previous delay emails we got. Apology, gave details on what happened and set expectations.

12 Likes

Agree. This is very well explained and transparent, as well as the foresight regarding national holiday handling. Minimizing surprises on the customers.

3 Likes

August 29: I should have got my laptop on August 29. Because of my mistake, the address has some problems. I got my laptop on Sept 1.

4 Likes

DIY Version as well - i5-1240P (Up to 4.4 GHz, 4+8 cores) - No SSD, RAM or Charger (My own DIY through Prime deals :slight_smile: .

1st Aug: We’re preparing to ship Batch 2! Please review your info
18 Aug: Preparing your order.
19 Aug: Payment complete! Your order is shipping soon
26 Aug: The laptop is shipped !!
Since it missed FedEx pickup cutoff, started on next working day i.e., 29 Aug
Received at Ontario, Canada on 1st September
Setting up the laptop was straightforward as per guides. had loud fan noises but after some tweaks with power options doing a lot better now.

So far it has been good experience…

2 Likes

Wow lots of updates since I last checked in. Hopefully everyone who is on the i7 train doesn’t have to wait long.

My FW shipped earlier this week and was immediately his with a “Local Operational Delay”. Which might mean something? Idk hopefully that is just fedEx tempering expectations for international shipping.

1 Like

So I just checked, also added myself to the spreadsheet, I pre-ordered on the 25th of May and still just received the Batch 2 preparing mail (on August 1st). Kinda leaves a “meh” buying experience.

Order details:
Batch 2
EU / Austria
1260p - 16GB - 1TB SN850 - w/ charger

4 Likes

Looks like they’ve been getting hit by the side of a really intense typhoon/hurricane! Now I feel bad for having ever been impatient.

1 Like

Hot damn. Hope everyone over there is safe! Having dealt with many massive hurricanes myself, it is a terrifying experience and something that no one should take lightly.

2 Likes

Mine was delayed too, and now it shows “In transit” again.

1 Like

Woo hoo! Just got my Step 4 email - will be shipping soon. Now I have to stop procrastinating and decide on a skin to order.

4 Likes

Got my step 4 as well for my i7-1280p. Hopefully it ships soon.

4 Likes

Just received by Step 4 email, should be shipping soon! Hope to see it by the end of the week :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Just got my “we’re preparing to ship your order” for my i7-1260p! Calm down everyone, it is happening \o/

Edit specs:
i7-1260p DIY
EU / Germany
No SSD, No RAM, No Charger
1x USB C, 1x USB A, 1x HDMI, 1x Micro SD
order placed June 26

6 Likes

same here!

5 Likes

Hey there. Congrats haha. I know you have been waiting for a long time.

5 Likes

Got the preparing to ship order last night!

Model - i7-1280P, 32GB RAM, 4 Modules.

Best Regards,
Varg

6 Likes