FW16 Batch 1 Guild

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned in this dialog is that the FW 13 was also their first laptop. The Framework 16 is their second, and I would imagine they’ve learned quite a lot from their previous mistakes. I’d anticipate the FW 16 launch going smoother, but with entirely new issues that the FW 13 didn’t have.

3 Likes

Also the fact that they already released similar Ryzen boards for the 13, which has been out in the wild for a short time, so they’re gaining basic experience with the basic mainboard/hardware stuff that’s in the 16 as well.

I’m sure there will still be quirks and issues with some things, but I think it’ll overall end up being fine.

2 Likes

i (Batch 8 16") believe that the 13" amd Bios should be similar enough that they have tested through the major issues already and believe that when the tech channels get them and then wave 1 comes out issues will be solved fairly quickly. I can’t wait to get mine but will be patient :wink:

1 Like

Batch 1 here - DIY with low end config.

regarding cooked/undercooked - haven’t there been tons of other product releases by now using the 7840hs and to a lesser extent the 7940hs? Seems that way at least on the mini-pc side.

IIRC, FW (or maybe it was reviewers) said FW was one of the first to market with the 7840u - which would naturally expose FW to a lot of headwind to refine and smooth out edges on the FW13 AMD - and extend the time it takes to get the product properly baked.

6 Likes

Great news B1G!

if the final qualification process doesn’t uncover any issues, we’ll send the first “We’re preparing your batch” emails to Batch 1 customers in late January.

We’re almost to the finish line! It feels like its been a long road, but one I’ve been very excited to travel on.

8 Likes

Counting down the days!

And the nights! :joy:

2 Likes

And the ours … :rofl:

1 Like

Then the rest of us get to count down the batches … :boom:

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m sad I missed the email for a few hours and ended up in batch 5.
Really didn’t expect pre-orders to open before the deep dives finished, that’s on me.

Looking forward to the reviews!

I thought I was super early… and found myself in Batch 5, lol.

All things considered, Batch 5 is still pretty up there, so we’re good. At least that’s what I’m telling myself.

Oh yeah, feeling exactly the same.

Really curious if this laptop will fit in my bag.
The 16 is pretty similar to my current one besides the dept, especially with the GPU module. It’s like 4.5 cm deeper than my current 16" laptop. I measured my bag with the current laptop in there and I’ll be stretching it (pun intended). I hope it’ll fit, but this backpack is old anyways and I should search for a new one (keeping the current one around).

Does anyone have recommendations for a backpack that’d work good with the framework and some other (tech related) things in it?

I personally bought a Boundary Supply Errant Pro to hold all my tech stuff including my framework 16. Its pretty spendy but I’ve loved it and used it daily for the past few weeks, and measuring in hand the FW16 will absolutley fit, even with the dgpu expansion and still has room to spare.

That one looks great, that’s the kind of backpack I’ll have to check out.
I’ve made myself comfortable with spending ~200€ for a good one, but this seems to be around 370€. I have no clue what other backpacks in this range cost though. I need to do some research and maybe open a dedicated backpack post on this forum :smiley:

I have no idea how I ended up in Batch 1.
I looked at my phone after wrangling the kids in bed, and saw this and thought to myself “Oh, it’s probably been hours already”.

When I saw I was batch 1 I was worried, thinking that the product might just be a flop and will get cancelled altogether. :rofl:

Anyways, I’m happy to be a beta tester for 'em

1 Like

Yes, indeed, it has been a long road, but definitely worth it. I have to admit that this is the most anticipated laptop for me ever (in 20+ years of being a laptop enthusiast). Really hope that I get it by March ;).

2 Likes

When did they open for pre-order, and how long was it open before you placed the order?

For me, I don’t recall how I was notified it was open for pre-order, but it felt very early. When I saw they were already in Batch 5, was thinking “oh crap, I’m pretty far back in line, huh?” Now that we’re in Batch 16, I don’t feel so… late… anymore, lol.

1 Like

I got the mail and was just going to the Preorder Page.

I had missed the Steam Deck and i really did not want to buy something other than the Framework. Really for it.

2 Likes

I don’t know the exact time they opened for pre-order.

I think I by coincidence saw the mail within a few minutes of it being sent. And paying the deposit failed the first time and went through the second time only.
Apparently there was payment processing issues in the first 15 minutes, so I really think I was by accident at the front of the queue.

1 Like

Alright you Batch 1 warriors. Batch 2 and up are counting on your direct battle reports! :slight_smile:

Thanks for holding the line!

4 Likes