FW16 Batch 1 Guild

Good news indeed, happy for you. I also ordered an int. English keyboard and live in the Netherlands, so keep us posted here on the progress. Unfortunately no charge on my cc or shipping notification - yet, but hoping this will come soon. Anyone know what time-zone this is being done from, as in: West coast USA or Taiwan?

1 Like

The card charge seems to happen in the working hours of Pacific Time. The shipping is done from Taiwan, most of the time in the evening.

Do note that this is just the pattern I have noticed and was the case for me, but it may not always be accurate for all orders.

2 Likes

For the first time in my life, I am looking forward to my card being charged (and quite substantialy too) :grin:
Your observed pattern gives me hope.

1 Like

Whelp, I missed my delivery this morning :sweat_smile: Went out for breakfast while it was still at the local FedEx facility and they delivered it 10 minutes after I left…

So now I have to wait until this evening to pick it up -stares at wall-

My FW 16 was in Taiwan yesterday and is out for delivery in the US right now… wish me luck!

2 Likes

I didn’t know it was possible for anything to be delivered the next day from that far away.

1 Like

Me neither… but I’m typing on it right now, so it doesn’t seem like a good time for me to challenge the laws of the universe :smiley:

Initial impressions: the keyboard is good and the speakers are the best I’ve had on a laptop… but the laptops I’ve had always had terrible speakers (Thinkpad, Clevo, Razer, HP). Overall, I’m surprised by how heavy and solid it feels.

3 Likes

Here’s the neat trick: have it ship tomorrow

I know it sounds like a joke, but when we’re talking about the device shipping from Taiwan, it can technically ship tomorrow, spend a day in transit, then arrive in your country. Time zones man :crazy_face:

1 Like

Just received my unit this morning and I’ve been playing with it for the last few hours. I was able to use the NVME as-is from my Framework 13 and get started quickly.

Gaps and keyboard are fine but oof that fan noise! It’s problematic. I’m looking forward at a way to customize or cap the fan curves because man I can’t be in public with this laptop when it ramps up.

2 Likes

I would think it should only ramp up when playing games

I had mine idling for a couple hours while I ran software updates (got it today). I didn’t hear the fans.

Probably also when compiling, etc.
I’m expecting to do compilations in public, which take about a minute on my current rig and this will very likely trigger fans.
So adjusting the fan curves will be kinda essential for me to not annoy the heck out of everyone around me. Will see once I get mine (Batch 3)

1 Like

I’ve had my DIY FW16 a week - mostly happy so far. I added my own SODIMS (2x32) and SSD WD 2TB. There are far cheaper options than framework to source those components. I dont like the ethernet socket so will order another USB -A and keep Ethernet for use as needed. I knew I wouldn’t like the Ethernet and I was right - it spoils the otherwise clean look!

5 Likes

My system has not shipped yet but I’m certain that I’m not going to like the Ethernet card either. I mainly got it for temporary operations during special use cases. I wish they went with a mechanically expanding jack design so that the card could be clean and self contained. I could also live with slightly reduced speeds (e.g. Gigabit Ethernet) if the self contained cards were too small for the 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet chipset.

5 Likes

Yup totally agree. A gigabit is enough 99.99% of the time when I’m on the go.

2 Likes

March 4th and 6:30am in Taiwan, time to start checking the bank every 5 minutes again :face_with_peeking_eye:

5 Likes

On my original order (batch 13) I had the ethernet card and after seeing it briefly in a review I decided against it and I’d just use a dongle that I already have. Saved me a few dollars and I don’t have to worry about the laptop possibly being lopsided. I also don’t use ethernet that often anymore so I probably won’t use the dongle much. I rarely use it as is.

1 Like

Haha totally. Hopefully us RGB lovers get ours soon.

3 Likes

At least it made it to France. But probably due to me being away for most of the week, have to wait another week before I can start playing with it😅 but one more week is not to bad

1 Like

Heh. batch 1 with “International English - Linux” - still waiting. No payment request at the bank … sigh :slight_smile:
What we - Linux’ers - have to endure :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes