FW16 Batch 1 Guild

As someone else who ordered the 7940, this was/is also my reasoning.

I had actually looked at the CPU specs for the 7940 and 7840 and opted for the one that uses less power in the already available benchmarks (Tend to be a system “efficiency” guy for over 25 years now). The performance difference did not validate me paying 200 Euro more for the 7940, also the 7840 looked to use less power overall. Hence me going for the 7840 when ordering. And as it was in the beginning, I only looked for about 10minutes… heh - still batch 1 though :smiley:

The Verge has posted a review. Expect more I’m guessing

1 Like

but the company tells The Verge that the first units will begin shipping to buyers as early as next week

1 Like

reviews thread

1 Like

Sounds like reviewers got basically late stage production validation versions, rather than actual mass production. Thanks to all you beta testers out there in the early batches!

2 Likes

That’s also how I see it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Especially since The Verge complained about the fan noise that we have been updated on a few times. Also… Freezing issues in Windows is pretty much a hit or miss on any laptop for me (especially with newer hardware drivers). It’s part of what drove me to Linux.

3 Likes

Here is a thread of links to reviews and also a statement from @nrp himself regarding the review units:

2 Likes

Looks nice

https://www.heise.de/tests/Framework-Laptop-16-im-Test-individualisierbar-modular-reparaturfreundlich-9604915.html

“Last gaming laptop”, assuming, very much hopefully, that Framework or other will end up adding generational improvements in dGPU. I’m very hopeful they will, but it’s far too soon to tell. We’ll see over the next couple of years. I’m willing to bet yes. After all Framework has kept mainboards up to date.

2 Likes

B1 checking in…hoping for that email any day now.

Any idea if we can make slight changes to your order before shipping? Such as adding those led side panels?

3 Likes

as long as it’s before, yes

I’ve done it myself twice and they’re pretty quick at it

2 Likes

If you are newer to the party I think the pessimism is warranted and appropriate. However as someone who has been here since the first the 13s rolled off the line, I feel like Framework has backed up their commitment repeatedly.

I see the deep cooperation with AMD on this, and all of the joint work needed for the GPU interconnect as signs that this is going places. To do all this work for a one hit wonder would be financially irresponsible and logically insane.

I think a bigger question is how does Nvidia play ball with this interconnect. The more the 16 is a success the more they need to jump on the bandwagen or fall behind in the modular mobile gaming laptop space.

Framework is having a big effect on the industry, but it is still early. I think the 16 is huge evidence of this. The 16 can be a true desktop replacement, without giving up on desktop repairability, customization, and upgradability.

I expect more good things to come.

15 Likes

Let´s Hope for new GPU/CPU.

Models in the next 12 Months.

2 Likes

I’d like to insert a new 12+GB VRAM GPU module before GTA VI gets released. :smile:

3 Likes

Configuration

System: Ryzen™ 7 7840HS
Memory: DDR5-5600 - 32GB (1 x 32GB) Remove Memory

Storage: WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 1TB Remove Primary Storage

Expansion Bay System

Expansion Bay Module: Graphics Module (AMD Radeon™ RX 7700S)

Customization

Keyboard: US English
Laptop Bezel: Framework Laptop 16 Bezel - Black
Numpad: Numpad Module
Power Adapter Region: US / CA

Expansion Cards

USB-C – USB-C Expansion Card
HDMI (3rd Gen)
Audio
3 x USB-A

Sixth update is out

For those of you in Batch 1, we’re also sending out the Batch 1 preparation email tomorrow.

3 Likes

Yippee Happy GIF - Yippee Happy Celebration GIFs|833x886.3974358974359

6 Likes

Getting my in last-minute order change to drop one expansion card and to add RAM.

A little disappointed they haven’t published RAM compatibility for the FW16.

Has FW gone on record to say the FW13 AMD chart should largely represent the FW16 compatibility list?