FW16 Batch 3 Guild

Oh your are my kin then. I was not only stalking Flightradar regularly, I was also taking screenshots of all the departed flights to match later on with the updated Fedex information. Alas, it all proved to be useless because first the package kept delaying in Guangzhou in China for 3 days, then went to Cologne, then paris and got delayed one extra day. Then I was sure it will take a Fedex flight to a smaller city in Germany which serves my area and get delivered today, but instead it went to Frankfurt and got delayed one more day.

The weird thing is, there was no flight from Paris to Frankfurt within 12 hours of that timeframe.

Not necessarily, since I do think there are quite a few flaws in it for myself. But I personally am excited because despite being into computers for 25 years, it is my first laptop, and I have been waiting for a framework in one way or another for more than a year because of being a proponent of repairability. First I had wanted an AMD version so I was waiting for it. Then I pre-ordered a 13 with AMD but cancelled it when 16 was announced for the larger screen. And then the delays just kept on piling.

The more delays happen, the more I get obsessed and doubt my decision in a way, unfortunately.

Shippers don’t use trucks or rail for that? Paris to Cologne by train is only a few hours, isn’t it? Curious new-worlder here…

Considering the number of packets Fedex needs to ship daily and the “Express” delivery windows, I don’t think train is feasible for them. The few hours on train will be for passenger fast trains. Freight trains will be much slower and less frequent.

They have their own flights going from Paris to multiple European cities at night.

fix it by disassembly and “looking for” the pins?

Could you be more specific? Do you mean taking it apart to see if the connector fell off? I don’t know how because there are no screws and I rather not since I was issued a RMA.

another thing to consider is the firmware package from Framework.

I had thought about the same thing, but it didn’t work. I downloaded and installed the driver bundle. I didn’t know there was a separate firmware bundle. Where is that at? That link is for the driver bundle.

@Schuasda & @Cbigfoot I see what you mean now! I didn’t notice the screws on the front of the spacer. Took it apart and would you look at that the board was upside down and the golden connectors were there! Flipped it over, booted it, and the module validation screen didn’t show up! And guess what else? That fixed the keyboard and touchpad!!!

Right to repair at its purest form. I loved this company before. Now I want to marry it lol.

14 Likes

Did y’all catch that @Chr & @OperationCWAL? That must have been causing some sort of shortage.

Sorry for the vague instructions, I was just quickly replying from my work desk :sweat_smile:

For the pins I was referencing this post where another user also seemingly had no pins on their spacer, but it turned out the pins were on the other side of the PCB. There should be two screws at the bottom of your spacer, which you can unscrew and check if you have a similar problem (“look for the pins”).

… I just noticed your newest reply and you figured out what I was babbling before :grin:

I had the same problem plus the keyboard and touchpad weren’t working. @Schuasda and @Cbigfoot saw your post and suggested I do the same. It was like you said, It looked like it was glued or soldered in. Popped it from one side using the screwdriver provided. That worked and I kid you not that also solved the keyboard and touchpad lol

1 Like

That is truly weird! I wonder how that can get out the door that way, but production must be working so fast right now trying to catch up that mistakes are bound to happen. Glad it was something you could fix yourself though!

2 Likes

It could potentially cause issues for the keyboard and the touchpad. I had the same problem, but in my case, the keyboard and the touchpad were somehow being affected. Turned it over and, suddenly, the keyboard and touchpad were also working.

1 Like

Well done! You got to flex you’re ability to repair your laptop components right out of the gate! I’m glad it was something simple and that you could manage yourself. Think of what would have had to take place if you had ordered a laptop from another manufacturer and a component was soldered, glued, taped down instead of made to be fixable with a screw driver?

2 Likes

LOL.
I mean that should not have happened but if it would be glued it could not be fixed.

And it probably was a short to these ground planes on the back that caused the controller for the input modules to shut down (just my speculation).

2 Likes

My hunch was right, it landed in Paris a couple of hours ago. It’s now on the way somewhere else. Odds are from checking FlightRadar again that it’s either Cologne or London.

1 Like

Yup, and it’s not like Framework is the only company where some issues slip through QC, far from it. If it were Asus, HP or shudder Apple, a similar situation could’ve been a major PITA.

I was showing the Framework Laptop 13 I got a week a go (will give it to my sister once my FL16 arrives) to friends and family and everyone was both impressed and said that that’s how every laptop should be. This company is awesome and I totally love what they’re doing!

1 Like

I agree framework is not the only ones with quality issues. My current XPS 15 I bought refurbished with 1x32 GB module Allegedly. Funny thing is Dell doesn’t offer for that configuration.
I get it, open it up to install a second 2 TB SSD The other 32 gig module was not seated Properly(Was caught in the clips, but not in the socket) So I presume rather Then Dell opening it up and fixing it They sold it refurbished(new) With what their systems can detected as the config. Got almost ~$1500 off it would’ve been had I bought it brand new. Can’t wait for my batch 8 to arrive

It’s arrived!

Got to the UK just in time to get trunked overnight by road. Now where did I put that SSD I bought in October… :joy:

7 Likes

Mine was delivered at 10 am this morning (UK). I can’t wait to get home and see what the fuss is about!

8 Likes

Mine arrived! Time to break out the project mat and assemble this thing. Can’t wait to play with the LED matrix modules.

6 Likes

Mine was just sent back:(
Not by me, I wish I got my hands on it, but FedEx subcontractor somehow didn’t know my street number despite it being in my order details, then failed to properly correct it when I told him the correct address on phone, and it ended up… somewhere in my town. Wasn’t able to track it down for the last few days.
Now Framework got involved and somehow managed to get the carrier to send it back, no idea how. They want to give me a refund - wish they just gave me any info where it is so I can pick it up. I really, really do not want to have to re-order and be last in line due to no fault of my own (though I do have a suspicion that the german ß in the street name caused the original issue - so beware).

1 Like