FW16 Batch 4 Guild

To be clear, all units in a given batch won’t be charged or shipped at the same time. This doesn’t mean you have been pushed to a different batch. While it is possible batch 6 will start shipping before everyone in batch 5 gets their laptops, that isn’t because some in batch 5 were pushed to batch 6. Orders won’t be shipped until all parts are available. So if your order is waiting on some part or other, it won’t ship until everything is ready. This might mean that some orders from a later batch ship before yours if everything is available for those orders. But anything your order is waiting on, would be prioritized for your order ahead of later batches. Because your batch is still ahead of theirs in line.

1 Like

That first sentence is news to me, but I’m also an idiot, so…

we had some unfortunate souls in batch 1 who didn’t get their machines until after folks in batch 3, because of parts framework was having trouble getting delivered on the schedule their partners promised.

framework has also said in their most recent email they expect to have as many as four batches shipping at the same time, at points in this process

Ouch. Sounds like a bunch of people really dropped the ball somewhere along the line.

Batch 5 here, notebook arriving tomorrow according to FW :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Mine’s on the way now, hope you’ll get notified soon!

1 Like

I gave up. If it comes, great, but my expectations are so low they’ve dug up the other side of the planet

Lol and just as I write that, charge hit!

1 Like

this is the startup to a brand new production line for a brand new product. sometimes partners slip on some things. this is normal, and generally how pre-orders for genuinely new kinds of products go. the difference is that framework tells us more about what’s going on than any other companies.

5 Likes

I’ve pointed out multiple times in the FL16 threads, and IIRC one of them was in reply to you, that the FL13 AMD had up to 4 batches shipping at the same time, even though batches were starting at a cadence of about a week/batch.

2 Likes

Fair.

Thought I was in Batch 3, had to check my emails before posting and apparently I’m on something.

Ryzen 7, normal keyboard layout but numpad attachment and mounted on the left side. Got everything up and running, gotta start thinking about upgrading RAM at some point I guess. +1 on the spacers around the touchpad not fitting well.

Working on getting everything up and running and so far I like it, only major complaint is that if I had the GFX module in my unit it wouldn’t fit in my backpack. I have several options, but the one I’m currently using is a very tight fit with no dGPU and realistically, I think the laptop will get a lot of negative press for not being this size with the GPU installed. Rest of the form factor is fantastic though.

Did the batch number in your order status actually change?

Just went back through all my emails, and apparently my brain just wasn’t working properly. Not surprising with how busy I’ve been at work, honestly.

Mine is now “On FedEx vehicle for delivery” :partying_face:

3 Likes

Can you maybe make a picture of the rubber pads underneath the midplate? My FW 16 did not get them yet, there are only three black distance holders installed, so I’d be interested in how the midplate looks like with them installed.

Package arrived. Hurray!

4 Likes

Here’s what’s under my midplate. These pads feel pretty firm, and I couldn’t feel any flexing when typing. I’m not sure if this is the same as earlier batches, or if this is the fix they proposed after early feedback. Either way, it feels solid to me.

3 Likes

Thanks for the picture. So you actually mean the mainboard, I thought you meant the bottom side of the midplate. :smile: In the last e-mail, they said that their rubber stamp fix is still in the testing process, not sure if those long black strips are supposed to be said fix.

Technically, the mainboard IS under the midplate. :stuck_out_tongue: But yes, I didn’t mean on the underside of the midplate. Apologies for the confusion.

Pulling back up the post about the keyboard flex fix, no these pads aren’t the proposed fix. If you look at the diagrams at the bottom of Destroya’s post, the black pads were already there, while the red rectangles are where they’re planning to put more pads.

That said, they’ve mentioned before that they didn’t find any flex before the reviews pointing it out (LTT, etc), so the tolerance between each individual midplate may vary a bit.

Perhaps I got lucky and got a model with less flex? Or maybe I’m just not noticing it? Either way, I love the Framework team’s attitude in handling feedback.

1 Like