[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

That is an interesting point however, given that many reviewers who got boards just swapped it with their 13th gen Intel and it’s only been a couple of months, battery degradation should be negligent.

Edit: Most of them either had the i7 1360p or 1370p with the 61 watthour battery

1 Like

There may have been some bias in the review done by Matthew Moniz, unintentional or not.

His slide near the 6:51 mark states the comparison was with the 11th gen Intel. One has to wonder if that was a typo, or if all the claims he made were based on a comparison with a much older unit.

Regardless, he needs to fix the typo or do a fair review.

I guess we should be skeptical of all the reviews. Maybe blue team reviewers “accidentally” put some USB-A cards in back, and maybe some red team reviewers “forgot” to swap in a fresh battery for the Intel tests, used older firmware, or chose to forgoe a retest entirely (should be able to confirm if their numbers match any of their previous reviews).

The numbers in Just Josh’s video did seem very plausible to me, at least. Seemed like he took great care in preparing the video.

It’d be interesting to see an aggregate of the scores so far (in as much as that were possible).

1 Like

Just as Batch 1 is being prepared for shipment, it’s honestly amazing to see the growth Framework has achieved in a short period of time. We’ve gone from “AMD when?” and “reset the clock” to finally seeing actually seeing them is incredible. Even more so that there are very few Ryzen 7040 series laptops from other manufacturers.

The Intel mainboard upgrades along the way were great but the holy grail for me and a lot of people was the AMD mainboard as it meant you weren’t stuck to with a particular CPU brand depending on when you bought it. It also means you can now switch between the 2 as long as this chassis is supported.

I bought into a 12th gen even having sworn that my next laptop would have been either an AMD or ARM laptop but it’s great to know that one of those will become true very soon.

3 Likes

I also did notice he listed the screen’s brightness as 300 nits instead of 400 so his review may be more sloppy than others.

3 Likes

IMO this is the right answer. Arstechnica used PCMark 10 battery bench which has a mix of web browsing, office and I think some video conferencing, while Notebookcheck did a web browsing only test. My guess is the video conference part of PCMark bench uses some hardware acceleration on Intel that was not working properly on the Amd side due to immature drivers or something like that.

3 Likes

Amusing considering how much AMD focused on Video Conferencing iirc.

AMD’s GPU division has always been lacking when it comes to driver support and bugs. While it’s gotten better, it’s still an issue.

1 Like

From email @ 4:22 PM Phoenix/GMT:

framework logo

Reviews of Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) are live

Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series)

The first reviews of Framework Laptop 13 (AMD Ryzen 7040 Series) are live, and the results are everything we hoped for when we kicked off the product. Reviewers called out the massive jump in graphics performance, increases in battery life, and improvements in multi-core workloads. The integrated graphics capabilities are especially astounding, putting a wide range of recent game titles within reach in a thin, light, portable system. Check out some of what reviewers have to say:

“It immediately jumps to my number one recommendation for software developers looking for a small and portable laptop. But, given how insanely good this laptop is, I’d also strongly recommend those looking for a laptop for school or home or office use, to really consider this one.”

JustJosh

“It’s worth saying, as usual, that this is, first and foremost, a productivity machine, but with AMD on board, it’ll play just as hard as it works.”

Daniel Cooper, Engadget

“All upgrades should be this easy. Taking the Intel board out and putting the AMD board in didn’t take me very long at all, especially with Framework’s instructions handy.”

Andrew Freedman, Tom’s Hardware

Soon, you’ll be able to see real customer feedback too, with the first Batch 1 shipments going out shortly. With recent increases in our factory capacity and logistics throughput, we’re working through the rest of the pre-order backlog as quickly as we can. We’re also continuing to work with AMD and other silicon providers on further firmware and driver updates to continue to optimize the product, especially as it comes to Linux support.

EU warehouse for Framework Marketplace items
We have one more exciting, long awaited announcement for you. This week, we activated a new warehouse in the Netherlands, enabling substantially faster and cheaper shipment of Framework Marketplace items to customers in EU and UK. Note that new laptops will continue to ship from our Taiwan warehouse. This is a project we’ve been working on for some time, finding the right partner, building integrations with our systems, and getting inventory into place. With this, we reduced our shipping prices to €12 to countries we ship to in EU and £10 to UK.

Our philosophy is to charge as close as possible to our actual costs for picking, packing, and shipping out orders. In addition to being transparent, we believe this better aligns incentives. Rather than hiding shipping costs within our product pricing and setting artificial free shipping thresholds to try to get you to buy more, you can choose how and when to group items that you need into orders to maximize value. This also means that when we optimize our infrastructure like we did this week, we get to pass the savings directly on to you.

1 Like

I won’t trust any review with PC Mark 10 since that data is so far removed from real battery life.

2 Likes

I have seen this film that analyzes the battery life of the laptop in detail for daily use, and there is nothing to say but to support your argument.

https://youtu.be/P0h8q6D0s74?si=JW4hA917eMhRCyjb

Bruh…I don’t know how to properly embed a link and display the title and thumbnail, can someone guide me to this?

It’s only really useful for comparing relative battery life between laptops rather than absolute values. I don’t fully trust battery life tests in reviews because real-life battery life will always differ from controlled testing, even if you try to make a standardized test mimicking real-life scenarios.

2 Likes

I just realized, I bought this for my last birthday, shortly before it, and now I will get it closer to my next one than the one I bought it for :rofl:

8 Likes

Me too! I have to write it off as birthday purchase to get this approved by wife.

Now my wife just makes fun of me for still having to use her laptop…

1 Like

compared to…

Nvidia. I don’t want to get too much into it but as an Nvidia user, I find their drivers to be rock solid and have less issues with windows. And you don’t even have to compare to Nvidia, you can go to the AMD subreddit and find multiple discussions about performance regressions, black screens, and bugs.

2 Likes

Unless you use Linux, then Nvidia is a huge crap show.

13 Likes

Do you run multiple monitors and use DisplayPort?

Last time I had their GPUs, I ran into an issue where the connection to one of the monitors would turn off when the display was powered down (due to sleep or inactivity). When this happened, all the app windows would migrate to the default display.

It was infuriating. Cannot remember if I ever fixed the issue, but I went with a 5700 XT when I built my last PC in 2019. I think it came down to cost and the fact that my build at the time needed to be small and portable. I had to downsize from two cards to one, and I think the NVIDIA cards at the time that could handle 4x 4K displays were more expensive.

The 5700 XT has certainly had its own problems. Aside from the random crashes and occasional stuttering, the worst has been when the driver would reset to “Generic PnP” and force a lower resolution when waking up. But I think I solved that by replacing the cables.

Anyway, it seems like it’s about time to upgrade my primary PC to AM5. Waiting to see if the holiday deals are enticing enough to pull the trigger this year.

If I do make the jump, I’ll probably go for the 7900 XTX; however, it seems like there are more water cooled NVIDIA cards. Once you add an after market water block for the 7900 XTX, the price difference is not as significant vs a 4080/4090. Decisions, decisions…

Everyone has their own anecdote about this or that GPU vendor. Sure, one vendor might not work for your use case and that’s why we now have 3. But objectively, how often do you hear news about Windows updates causing AMD driver issues versus with Nvidia? Or performance regression on this driver update? And even people saying to avoid a particular update because it’ll corrupt something?

Each vendor has their own advantages. I’ve built a few AMD systems for friends and family for different reasons (price to performance, etc.) and driver experience has not necessarily been great. Once they lock onto a good one, it’s fine but updating is hit or miss.

4 Likes

Hi guild ! I’m joining you to make time pass until my Ryzen 5 DIY is shipped.

With all the current news about batch 1’s progress it gets harder to wait ! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Welcome, @coucouf! Which batch are you in?