[RESPONDED] AMD Batch 1 Guild

I was referring to the kit from the image not Todd Freeman’s kit. And there’s another user reporting an issue with the Crucial 5600 mhz kit.

Laptop Arrived today, Diy Edition and went with Framework RAM 32 GB with a 7840U. I am very happy with the translucent bezel!

8 Likes

Do you use any flatpak (or snap) electron app? Do they work on wayland?

1 Like

My impressions on my laptop:

I got my Ryzen 5 laptop Monday. I am very happy with it. This is the first Framework laptop I have owned. I used a previous 500G Samsung SSD from my old laptop and one sodimm Crucial 16G 5600 RAM. I was concerned about whether I would have to use the wifi card from my old laptop. I did not because the laptop came with a Mediatek wifi card pre-installed. I installed Gentoo with root on ZFS with native encryption. (I usually get people slamming me about using ZFS due to IP issues or something like that. So far, the FBI has never shown up at my door with a warrant to see my filesystems.)

This laptop is very fast. The screen is the brightest I have ever had on a laptop. I turned it down to 70% because it was a bit bright for me. All my previous laptops I have kept the screen set to 100% brightness. This is the first 3:2 and matte screen I have had in about 15 years. Both properties of the Framework screen are much better than on my last several laptops. The sound is quite loud too, and to me sounds very, very good. I have sound set to 65%. On my last laptop, I had to disable absolute volume and then at times set the sound to 125% for it to be loud enough. I cannot imagine ever having to turn up the sound to 100% on my Framework laptop. Battery life seems good, although I set it to charge only to 60% in the UEFI settings since I often keep the laptop plugged in.

I have not yet used the webcam. For some reason the Cheese app has been crashing on startup. I have not yet enabled the fingerprint reader.

I was a bit disappointed with the DIY when I first got my Framework laptop. DIY apparently means: install the RAM, SSD, screen bezel, and keyboard cover. That does not seem like much of a DIY to me. I did not even get to install the battery and motherboard as those came pre-installed. I guess I will wait until those either die or I want to upgrade them.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase. It is such a thin and light laptop, and functions incredibly well. It was definitely worth the wait.

8 Likes

Hello all,

Anybody using one of those can tell me if it works?

My freezes happen after a boot and mostly stop after 30 minutes.

I have Firefox on Wayland and slack on the old xwayland I believe.

Since putting Firefox on Wayland it seemed to freeze more

1 Like

I was wondering why your issues were so similar to the HN headline until i read your name :stuck_out_tongue:
Honestly just sounds like kernel issues to me, comes with new hardware (espec AMD with their smaller team).

Might be worth it to look into Arch if you have to will!

I got my Ryzen 5 DIY today. After I got it together, it didn’t boot immediately. I didn’t panic and just plugged it in. When I checked back later, it booted just fine. The instructions for Windows and Rufus worked great. I loved being able to customize the installation. It took a little while to download the drivers. If you haven’t gotten yours yet, you may want to get that ready beforehand. The charging cable seems wonky. I kept finding that it wasn’t charging, but then it would. I’ll need to investigate further. I was worried about the speakers, and while they don’t compare to my wife’s Dell XPS 15, they are good. They are plenty loud, and the sound quality is nice. I’m having trouble dual-booting with Fedora. I keep getting “Failed to save storage configuration” and “Error checking storage configuration.” And “Automatic partitioning failed”. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, but I’m tempted to get a 250 GB expansion and be done with it. I like the keyboard and the touchpad. I’m surprised that transitioning to a 3/2 screen is harder than expected. I lucked out with the clear bezel, but it feels a bit brittle, and the switches for the camera and mic are challenging to manipulate. I like the keyboard better than my Lenovo T450 (and Pixelbook Go). It’s thinner than I imagined it to be. It’s so much faster than my other computers and handles my 30-plus tabs just fine. Overall, I’m excited to have this cool and amazing laptop. It’s so customizable. Any complaints that I have can easily be addressed and fixed.

3 Likes

That’s expected, the laptop does some RAM calibration the first boot and that can take minutes. Please be patient everyone.

5 Likes

Fun fact: if you order the DIY Framework laptop, your whole laptop is assembled at the factory for QA testing, then partially disassembled again just for you to reassemble it.

5 Likes

Just got the shipping notification!
LETS GOOOOO

5 Likes

Have you tried the stable kernel (6.1.57 as of writing)? Another Gentoo user here.

Of course, it’s not 1:1 comparison, but I did have some amdgpu issues on my desktop AM5, particularly around early framebuffer hand-off, and had to disable a few early FW options in the kernel and allow the amdgpu driver to pick up the framebuffer and firmware later on in the boot sequence (after mounting root). Using nomodeset also resolved some temporary amdgpu issues I had a few weeks back. I reckon amdgpu issues are not unique to Framework.

But it has been stable after a few days of tweaking seemingly irrelevant kernel options.

1 Like

You can thank US customs regulations for that, apparently:

Although it’s not clear to me what the initial plan for quality control was, either (compared to the current practice of assembling the “DIY” unit completely, testing it, then taking out the extra parts and cycling them to the next “DIY” unit to be tested).

(Other things you can thank customs for: according to the EU, the defining difference between photography and videography equipment is being able to record 30 minutes of continuous video; that’s why your DSLR or mirrorless ILC won’t record more than 29:59.999. Of course, an actual videographer very rarely needs continuous takes of more than a couple minutes. Recording lectures gets needlessly more annoying, though.)

5 Likes

Thanks!

Just got my shipping notification too :slight_smile:

Any current AMDers tried Manjaro yet? I have that on my 11th Gen. I am hoping I won’t need to install something else.

1 Like

What batch are you on? Batch one still?

Yep batch 1.

I did run the 6.2.9 kernel for a while (by accident), but that only seemed to work properly if I completely disabled GPU acceleration by disabling modesetting. I thought about trying an older kernel, but I’ll probably try the opposite (6.6) first :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestions!

1 Like

I have installed ubuntu 23.10, it cannot even boot into the login screen. it loops between a completely blank screen and a blank screen with a cursor (cannot type anything) after printing the grub log.

Now, I have to reinstall fedora, hopefully it works better this time…

It’s beautiful, and I managed to get support to change to red the day before my shipment … shipped :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes I’ve read/seen that and while I understand why it still seems very funny…

1 Like